Votes: 9 19.1%
  • Mesmer

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Elementalist

Votes: 12 25.5%
  • Necromancer

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters
I'm really enjoying the engineer aesthetics. Had a bit of a crisis yesterday, though. I'd just unlocked the grenade kit, which is a tricky set of ground targeted AoE skills. There were fifteen to twenty of us running around powering through hearts and we got hit by a tough DE. Suddenly it felt like I couldn't do anything right. I was doubting my prof choice, but I felt pretty invested after unlocking three cities completely and spending the whole first day getting her to level 12.

Logged off, took a break, then came back and did some hearts at a nice, slow pace,concentrating on figuring out new skills and keybinds. Now I am back to really enjoying the character again.

Sometimes it's good to step away for a bit. :D

Last edited:
Now trying to decide if leveling two toons simultaneously will frustrate me with the slow pace of leveling.

Got on my Guardian last night, and after spending so much time kiting and shooting on the Engineer, it felt good to run up and smack things in melee. I'm sure after playing with the Guardian's lackluster range weapons, I'll be eager to be able to sit back away from the fight for a while and go to town with the Engi.

Might be good to alternate between the two.

so far, both my Guardian (swapping staff for buffs in a grp/2H hammer solo) & Warrior (between rifle & 1H ax) have been my best fun. Course in my personal story battles, I switch to keep my balance & health in tact! Only played my Asura Mesmer to a few levels; but fun so far!

Engineer has a unique trickiness, I've found, about leveling up. The other professions get to learn new skills one at a time, even though you unlock weapons skills pretty quickly.

On engineer, one weapon kit suddenly gives you six new skills to work with. It's a little daunting if you are in the middle activity and want to try out your new skill.

The profession is a lot of fun, though. Overcharged shot, which blasts back your opponent and sends you flying in the other direction is hilarious. The flamethrower is pretty awesome as well. In a large DE, the flame thrower seems to hit everything, which means you have a lot of defeated enemies you get to loot.

I even like the fact that every time you drink an elixir, you toss the bottle to the side and there's a little tinkling of breaking glass. Terrible if you think about Tyria littered with glass everywhere, but an awesome touch if you don't. :D

so far, both my Guardian (swapping staff for buffs in a grp/2H hammer solo) & Warrior (between rifle & 1H ax) have been my best fun. Course in my personal story battles, I switch to keep my balance & health in tact! Only played my Asura Mesmer to a few levels; but fun so far!

I just hit lv22 on my mesmer.
using Staff/Greatsword
Boosted my Chaos to 10 and working on Domination traits currently

LEVELING TIPS:
one thing i noticed while leveling is do EVERY event that happens near you.
it gives event exp as well as normal exp for defeating foes.

Also i went to every starting Town and got all Waypoints,Points Of Interest and Vista's done.
each one you complete gives you a bunch of exp and your level doesn't matter when doing those.

If your ever in the Frozen Maw in Wayfairer Foothills (Lv 1-15 Norn area),
be sure to kill the chief svanir shaman every chance you get.
i have been getting a minimum one green per time i kill him
and it has really boosted my money situation and ability to donate items to the Guild Bank
so my extras can help out others who may need what i would have carelessly sold.

as far as Engineer goes i think mine is Lv9 but after i get my Guardian and Mesmer higher
i plan to resume training.

Last edited:
Currently playing on a Mesmer again. Got my Guardian to mid forties and needed a change of pace for a while. Definitely enjoying it. Staff/Greatsword as well, grabbed Illusionist's Celerity first, and headed toward Crippling Dissipation in Domination. Level 20 atm.

I don't kill things as fast as my Guardian or several other professions I've tried, but man my survivability is crazy as long as I'm paying close attention. I've found I can kite veterans and wear them down over time, when even my Guardian would have been caught and downed. I'm looking forward to trying the mesmer out in some WvW.

Back