Problem with pc..

lutikri55

Hey can someone help me a bit, i have a power problem. Until about 4 weeks ago my computer would work fine, then it would sporadically not turn on, i have to unplug and plug back in wires to get it to turn on, so then I bought a new power supply, an Antec 400W PS. This was working great at my house for over a week, no problems. Then i bring it to school and have been using it for less than a week and it starts the same thing again. I cant figure out what could be the problem. I mean, the power supply is brand new and a decent brand. Do you have any ideas as to what it might be?

wow...that problem definitely points to power supply. (I know even after you bought a new one)

To confirm or deny this, check your BIOS voltage settings. Perhaps your motherbaord is over volting and causing some shorts.

most of the voltages should be 5 or 12, there's a battery one for 3.3 and a vcore which varies on CPU (1.76 on AMD's)

This is what it says in the bios in regard to voltages:

3.3VIN      3.31V
+5V          5.08V
+12V        12.34V
-12V         -12.85
-5V          -5.09V
VBAT         3.28V
5VSB(V)     5.67V

The VCORE is around 1.76 and i have a Athlon XP

Does this look right?

Thanks.

-lutikri55

Well, I decided to invest in a new motherboard. It seems to be working fine so far. I purchased an Asus A7N8X Deluxe model which is based on the Nforce2 chipset. I sold my Creative Labs SBLive! and decided to use the onboard Nvidia Soundstorm. I hope this board will last longer than my last one, which lasted not even a year. Thanks again for your help CCGR.

The funny thing is that I put memory in the new board and ran that memtest86 program again and no errors are found like in the other board. I find it kind of odd.

Could be, my 3DMark score is up a little bit from the new mobo. I had 947 before, now I get 1014 on 3DMark03. Not much but some improvement.

Back