[Off-Topic] Printable prayer thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tek7 (Legacy)

CGA & ToJ President
I was thinking how wonderful it would be to make a way to easily print off the prayer requests posted to this forum. Then users who are short on time can print it out and take it with them to take a few minutes here and there to pray for those on the list.

I'm looking for some practical ideas on how to do this without replicating the list again--if it's even possible. Please post your thoughts and suggestions.

I've seen some websites wehre they give out "Printable version" where it duplicates the websource in a simple form (white back ground, black text only) I'm not sure how they do it though...

Taking into account that I know zip about php, I am a programmer so I suspect we should be able to programmatically pull prayer items from threads in the prayer forums..Having said that it would of course mean a standardised way of posting a prayer request. Maybe something in the line of :

The person that has placed the request, that we can cull from the post itself ?

-Request-[blah blah blah]
-Feedback-[blah blah blah]

The idea with the Feedback is that we can match feedback to a request to a earlier posted request ... exactly how that would work or if it will even add value I have not wrapped my mind around...

Maybe we can have a specific type of posting "macro" or something (Plankeye, Tom ?) that can automatically provide the fields for the poster to populate ?

Me program long time..

I think if you want feedbacks matched with the original request, the best way would be using a seperate database. By assigning an auto increament "request number" then the feedbacks could reference the proper request. Once the data is seperated from the forums, the printing is trivial

The tricky part is getting the posts to add to the forums as they are now, and to the prayer request DB seamlessly.

I'll think a bit more about it, and get back to you guys.

The DB issue is exactly why I want to see if we can't get it done inside the ikonboard infrastructure.yes.. exporting to another DB or such would be preferable but since I don't know IB I can't say as to what is possible ..
Tek , Tom ?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (kasimir @ Oct. 26 2003,12:51)]exporting to another DB or such would be preferable but since I don't know IB I can't say as to what is possible ..
Tek , Tom ?
No clue. O_O

If needed i can manually recreate via copy/paste all the prayer requests into a database if there was a font end created for me to put it all.... (plank?). Then we could use the toj/cga site for it.

what about having a  prayer request form on the website? Changing the IB source could be dangerous for the entire forums, one mistake and *poof*.

I think with a seperate form, we could do this very easily. Then we could create the forum posts from the request form.

Stormy sure knows how to kill a thread.
biggrin.gif
wow.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back