October 31st, 2005

Bowser

Tribe of Judah StarCraft Series Chapter Leader
God's Timing

The LORD said, "And now the cry of the Israelites has reached me, and I have seen the way the Egyptians are oppressing them."

-Exodus 3:9 (NIV)

A good friend of mine once said facetiously, "God acts like he's got forever." There's humor in the paradoxically true statement, yet it's not funny when we're in the process of waiting -- especially if the waiting involves suffering.

Consider the Israelites and how they suffered in Egypt. For years they cried out for deliverance, but it took years before God pulled Moses aside to say, "And now the cry of the Israelites has reached me." And now? They had been wailing for centuries, and finally God heard them? That's probably how it felt to the Israelites, but not to God.

In order to rescue the Israelites, God needed a leader -- Moses. God had been preparing Moses in the desert for this task. And when Moses was ready, God began moving in more noticeable ways. Our tendency is to believe that nothing is happening if nothing appears to change. But God is always at work. If we remember that, it can make our waiting easier.

Dana Ryan (Arizona, U.S.A.)

Dear God, forgive us for our impatience. Help us to learn how to wait and trust you in all situations. Amen.

Back