Novel Writers: Weekly Chapter Challenge

I figured since we had a 100 words per day thing, it might be good to get those of us who are actually intending to make published novels to finish their work on a schedule. Instead of having daily entries with the ambiguity of 100 words of a [large number] page book, we should vouch to write at least a chapter each week, and post complete chapters only (not necessarily edited, but just to get the story on paper somehow) every 7 days for a total of 28 days (4 weeks).
I think this system of complete chapter entries will allow a smoother exposure to the book than short 100 word entries, and will make the challenge a little less bumpy for the authors...

The guidelines/rules:
  • Each set of 7 days, a minimum of 1 completed, NEW chapter should be submitted.
  • The contest lasts for 4 entries (or longer, if the author so pleases).
  • Chapters do not have to be completely edited as if prepared for publishing.
  • All genres, styles, etc. will be acceptable for the contest, provided that they are intended to be novels of no less than 4 chapters.
  • Replies to the contestant's thread should contain supportive criticism (be nice please), or comment politely on the work.
  • Chapter length is unimportant, but it should *probably* be at least a page or so, seeing as it's a chapter of a novel...
  • Use the Spoiler HTML to conceal chapters from those who want to wait to read the book.
    [ spoiler ]don't use spaces in the HTML, of course.[ /spoiler ]
  • Make new threads entitled "Chapter Challenge: " and your novel's title.

How about it?

Last edited:
Ajmucha, report for silent service. I'll find a good excuse to be writing and gettin on this site to post, even though I'm grounded. And I assume that my prior works are invalid for entry, as this is about new chapters.

Correct me if I'm wrong to agree with the same assumption ajmucha disclosed by offering to write new never before seen chapters of "I dunno" to be unequaled in clarity and brilliance. hehehehe I can understand a smile, maybe a chuckle, but all out laughter hehehe it wuz fun anyways. Oh yeh Do we post on our locked threads?

I like the idea. I think it's great to be dedicated to at least 1 chapter a week. I bump into a few problems with the way I am writing my book right now -- more like giant sections than chapters. The first section was a rough draft of 21,000 words. I'm not sure I'd be able to do that every week, though I'll certainly try.

As for posting material... HAHAHAHAHAHA! I am way to self-conscious to post anything for now. I have been working on a short story that ties into my novel, and I'll be trying to throw that up here in a week or so.

Happy writing.

When you make a thread with your first new chapter and start posting consecutive new chapters following the rules...

(It's not a contest; there are no competitors... You're dedicating yourself to writing...)

Or if you want to start sooner than you intended:

3, 2, 1, GO! ;)

Back