Nintendo unveils 'new' 3DS, 3DS XL

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
Nintendo announced 'new' models of the 3DS and 3DS XL during this morning's Direct stream for Japan. The new versions feature a small "C-stick" analog pad on the right hand side above SNES-like colored face buttons. During the presentation, Nintendo President Satoru Iwata compared the pad to the GameCube controller's own yellow C-stick.

Unlike the old models, the new 3DS and 3DS XL have NFC-tech built in, meaning they can communicate with Amiibo figurines (like the ones coming for Super Smash Bros.) without need of an extra device. Nintendo's also introduced a Micro SD slot underneath the base cover, while new "Super Stable 3D" functionality is designed to ensure the 3D features stay sharp and comfortable, even when the 3DS is rotated (see below).
Update: Nintendo unveiled Wii JRPG Xenoblade Chronicles for the new 3DS. The company says the game will only run on the new 3DS, and that's because of its enhanced CPU.
Source: Nintendo unveils 'new' 3DS, 3DS XL [update]

I'd advise against buying a 3DS until Nintendo releases a second generation model. It may be a while, but it will happen, regardless of Nintendo's suggestions to the contrary. Any first generation model will have issues (even minor ones) that will likely be fixed in a hardware revision.

I really wish I had followed my own advice and waited for a proper hardware revision. (I don't consider the XL model a proper hardware revision.)

I never thought I'd say this, but I very much regret buying my Zelda 3DS XL now.

/sigh

Okay, I hope you all will indulge me while I rant:

It seems like nearly everything Nintendo does with Monolithsoft games frustrates me:

1. Nintendo did not localize Soma Bringer, arguably one of the greatest co-op experiences ever, for North America or Europe.
  2. Nintendo did not publish Xenoblade Chronicles in North America until fans railed against Nintendo for nearly a year.
  3. When Nintendo did agree to publish XC in North America, they only distributed the game through its own online store and Gamestop, preventing competition and thus ensuring the prices would never drop significantly.
  4. Now Xenoblade 3DS will only play on the new 3DS.

You all know I'm usually a dedicated Nintendo fan and I'm happy for the late adopters who get some fantastic new features (especially that Super Stable 3D, assuming it works as advertised), but I'm not especially happy with Nintendo today.

I'm left wondering how many games aside from Xenoblade Chronicles won't play on old 3DS units.

And even if I were to consider buying a "new" 3DS XL for a moment, I quickly remember that digital games are tied to the hardware instead of an account, which means that I wouldn't have A Link Between Worlds or the StreetPass games on my new system.

I guess this is just progress in action, but I can't help but feel disappointed, all the while knowing it's a silly thing to get disappointed about.

Last edited:
Hear you on this one.
:D

I think 3D is really a non-feature for the console although it might enhance the gaming experience, I still probably wouldn't ever turn it on.

Off-topic, any up-coming releases for the current 3DS that have caught your interest? The only ones that come to mind is the next pocket monster game and the next Golden Sun title (if it ever comes out..)

Hear you on this one.
:D

I think 3D is really a non-feature for the console although it might enhance the gaming experience, I still probably wouldn't ever turn it on.
Based on what I've read online, I think I'm in the minority when I say that I really like the 3D feature and I use it more often than not on almost every game I play (with the notable exception of Pokemon X, since it uses the 3D effect so rarely and usually lags when it does).

Bravely Default in particular makes excellent use of the 3D effect. The game looks significantly better in 3D than 2D, IMO.

But, again, I know I'm in the minority. :)

Off-topic, any up-coming releases for the current 3DS that have caught your interest? The only ones that come to mind is the next pocket monster game and the next Golden Sun title (if it ever comes out..)
I'm semi-interested in Persona Q. I think SMT IV and Bravely Default have me covered for my handheld RPG fix for a long time to come and I admit I'm disappointed that Persona Q is more Etrian Odyssey and less Persona (which I recognize comes down to personal taste).

As strange as it sounds, Puzzle & Dragons Z is currently the title I'm looking forward to most. If Monolithsoft had developed the 3DS port of Xenoblade for the "old" 3DS as well as the new, it would probably hold the top spot. Monster Hunter 4 also looks promising, but I feel like I'd only enjoy if it my wife played it, too, and even then we'd likely just wish we were playing a new Soma Bringer the whole time.

And if the 3DS weren't region-locked, you better believe I'd be eyeing an import copy of Puyo Puyo Tetris. One reason I refused to buy a 3DS for so long (not long enough, apparently) was the region-locking. It's 2014 and I had really hoped the industry was past all that rubbish by now. I mean, Sony has (though the proprietary memory card of the Vita was a dealbreaker and ultimately swayed me toward the 3DS).

TL;DR: I'm looking forward to Puzzle & Dragons Z (if it ever gets localized, that is). :)

Back