New Year, New....

Genesis1315

Ladies
Well, ladies and gentlemen, as the new year approaches, I am faced with some interesting prospects for RD. Before I wholesale change everything in here, I would like some input from you. Other than returning the forums to an unmoderated status, what other suggestions do you have? Please be respectful, keeping in mind everything that has happened over the past month. I do not have the final say on the rules, but will present reasonable request as a part of the new RD.

The first request I have seen is to treat everyone the same. This means that the Bible will be the guidelines for resolving conflict and correcting behaviour is needed. Does this get a Yes or No?

What other suggestions are out there?

Gen

p.s. This will ultimately replace the other sticky threads that are posted. I really prefer to have one thread to read instead of a gazillion to find out what the rules are.

Just so we're all on the same page, how is making the Bible a measuring rod going to make things any different than they have been? It was my understanding that that was the way it had been. I'm not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand.

No offense to Gen in the slightest, but there really needs to be more than one mod for RD. I think that would take a WHOLE lot of stress off of Gen's shoulders.

Suggestions? Maybe instead of fully moderated, where a post must be screened in order to be put on the forums, just more mods... but I dunno. I spend most of my time in other parts of the forums.

I actually disagree with the idea of the bible being used as the rules for this forum - since much of what we do here involves taking pot shots at sacred cows that don't have anything but scriptural support.

In addition many of the ten commandments are certainly not ones that I use as a guide for my life. I'm thinking, of course, of the first four in the King James bible. If you tried to hold me to those, then I'd be out of here inside of a day!

...sacred cows? I never knew we worshiped a cow...

Anyway, since this is a Christian forum, the Bible is a very good standard. Just be decent and you should be ok, I'm not sure why you have a problem here...

hmmm, I was hoping for some additional feedback on this. oh well. I will put something together then and post it here within a week. Hopefully that will drive some more comments.

ChickenSoup said:
...sacred cows? I never knew we worshiped a cow...

Anyway, since this is a Christian forum, the Bible is a very good standard. Just be decent and you should be ok, I'm not sure why you have a problem here...

For your delight and edification, the first four commandments in the King James Bible are...

1. Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

2. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; And showing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

3. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain: for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

4. Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Now can you possibly see why I, as an animist, might have issues with being held to those commandments?

I don't believe that's what we're talking about here.

The issue is one of respect and how one treats your fellow forum member.

As a christain and posting on a christain forum of course I think that the bible is firm and without a doubt the rule..Somehow I think this forum can explain and also be uplifting to our brothers and sisters in their quest for his body part. The only thing that I have found disturbing is the dis'n of other religions. Power is in the knowledge of God and to change others we must stand firm and Praise God!!!!!

Dark Virtue said:
I don't believe that's what we're talking about here.

The issue is one of respect and how one treats your fellow forum member.

*shrugs* Sorry if I'm addressing the text and not the subtext. If you don't say what you mean, how can you mean what you say? ;)

Using a biblical foundation for the governing rules of a christian board simply makes the best logical sense. To remove it is foolishness and would make hypocrites of us all.

Can the mod's of the forums enforce such a rule on non-believers?

The answer is quite simply is yes. If your intent is to draw sheep away from the flock as a wolf would, then its best you leave inside the day as you put it. Now if you can present a case other then, "I simply don't believe in the authenticity of the bible," for not having a biblical foundation of the rules at these forums, then do so.

You can act in any way that you see fit - as can the site and the site members and the site staff. However, you cannot dictate thought and belief to somebody else.

I have successfully navigated the minefields of membership here for many, many years. Holding the ten commandments to be part of the TOS will effectively force me to be in non-compliance. At that point the site staff will have to decide whether fundamentalist reactionary practice or hypocrisy is the lesser of two evils.

And I use the word advisedly.

I have no problem with the bible being used as the “standard” for the forums, I always felt that the forums where not to question the “validity” of the bible. But a place where the question why could be asked in a respectful manner.

Many of us here come from different backgrounds and have different beliefs or varying levels of “faith” Not even all those who have a large quantity of faith disagree on interpretation and intention of the writers of the bible.

I can not understand where the challenge is? Gen moderates a biblical based forum on Religious discussion geared toward the bible. It is not geared toward any other belief, it is the Christian faith and should be moderated as such. That should not even be the discussion.

I would not go to Gen’s house and demand she adheres her discussion to fit my agenda, nor could I go to DV home and demand anything. CGA Forums are that CGA’s business. A place to discuss religious topics geared toward the Christian faith.

It was always my understanding that we could come to this forum and discuss topics that we could not wrap our minds around. Get feedback from the Christian community and maybe walk away a little more knowledgeable than when we came.

Now I can not see where this in anyway stop anyone, Christian or not to ask, what makes the resurrection valid? How do we know god exists? Why is the Christian God more correct than the Muslim god? Is it all really true? What happens when faith dies?

These are the questions that have plagued mankind since the dawn of existence and will always. Some will find answers here. Some will find more questions, but all should be allowed to ask.

Once again it comes to respect and the acceptance that not all answers or theories will satisfy everyone. Just because you do not like the answer or the person’s idea of the “correct” answer shouldn’t be and open door to bash that person. For many of us are very technical people who fine unarguable definite answers. But we should always be respectful.

They’re is a saying when in Rome…………………..

With that said, I think the forums should be moderated for hateful, and demeaning things, like it has done. His should be a place to find out whys and to answer them the best anyone can. I think it’s a sincere waste of time to go through each thread before it’s posted. I mean how hard is it , no flaming, no hate, not bashing, sincere questions about , lifestyle habits should be allowed, but not the endorsement of values that go against belief.

Questions are wonderful; belittling stifles growth

(*LOL) things you think about after 14 hours of sleep 

I miss you all

Since before the new Millenium, I have been welcome here. What you suggest finally reverses that.

The RD forum has always been for civilised discussion and debate of Religion. I believe there is already a forum in which you can specifically ask questions about the bible - this forum has traditionally had a wider brief than that.

So the question remains - when you ask your questions do you WANT to canvass opinion simply within the Christian community or do you want the broader view and the bigger picture? And if your answer is the former, do please try and remember the shade of Eon when next someone asks why Christians get such a hard time in the secular world.

While I am still recovering I have re-opened this thread so that I can move forward with things. I am still working on a mission statement for RD, but perhaps if I explain things a bit more, it will help you to understand where my concern and frustration comes from. I have looked at the rules and the ToS in comparison to the posts that have been placed on this forum. It would be easier for me if everyone would whole heartedly agree to abide by the rules and the ToS. If that were the case, this whole discussion would be mute. But then the forum would also not be fully moderated.

I posed the question of using Biblical standards for all because it would provide a consistent path. I must again stress that where your souls are and will be is far more important than who is right and who is not. Christians have a challenging road because not only are our words judged, but our actions are as well. When we act in a way that is not consistent with the Bible, we are challenged or condemmed because of it. In the long run, we probably push more away by this than anything else. I am also faced with the question of how much good would it do to have a Biblical standard for everyone. Forcing someone to act as the Bible states does not encourage faith in the Father.

So, based on this, it looks like I must develop rules on my own for these forums. I will create them and then forward them to Tek for approval. Many of the rules will be the same, there may be some new ones added in.

Gen

I think most of us here would prefer harsher punishments for rule breakers instead of the fully moderated format that is currently in place. The old rules were fine. If people are not willing to abide by the old rules they will not be willing to abide by the new. It's very difficult to have any kind of discussion at all atm. My vote is to stop the full moderation and kick us off if we don't accept warnings or other discipline.

I think you do a great job and I appreciate the time you spend moderating this forum Genesis, but please just open it up and hammer us when we break the rules. Kick us off if we can't adjust our behavior. Just be specific in why you are giving a warning and give it to specific individuals instead of group warnings.

Thanks again for all your time and effort here. I understand your frustration.

The reason I am looking to better define the rules is to support whatever action I have to take in the future to address / difuse a situation. While I thought the rules were clear enough, based on the comments I received when I issuing a corrective action, there was apparently some room for interpretation.

It is supposed to be a given that we are all abiding by the ToS, but I think a couple additional points need to be addressed to that there is no room for confusion.

Gen

p.s. Once the new rules are in place, I will strongly consider removing the moderated status.

Back