Might buy a PS3 or Xbox 360 in about 2 hours...

PS3 or XB360 (please read post first)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

XionTawa

Need some quick input...

What you need to know... The PS3 is cheaper for me because I need the wireless networking and wireless controllers, so really the Xbox 360 is the more expensive system right off the bat (The $100 wireless adapter, and the wireless controllers being almost $70 and using regular batteries), so please don't use that to promote the Xbox 360... Also, I HATE Halo, and have no interest in the game...

What I need in the console... It will be used as a media center probably as much as I game on it, and I don't care for online gaming on a console... Mainly I want to pick the one that is going to provide the more "in-house" multiplayer games...since most of the reason I am planning on buying one is to give my wife and I something to do other than play PC games in our free time, and the Wii just can't keep up to our demands (we own one)... And I don't want to go crazy and spend $800...lol... So as of right now the PS3 is looking best...

When you vote please leave a short comment on why, and please do not vote until you read this...

EDIT: The problem I am having is: I have about 2 to 3 other people that play games with me, however, I am the only one with any real spendable income...so us all buying the same PC game to play with eachother is out of the question...so it is so frustrating trying to enjoy some new multiplayer action with my friends and family...that is why I am looking at the PS3...or Xbox 360...

Last edited:
After doing some more research I don't know if I will get either, because it seems on both systems MOST multiplayer functions and features are online...and not "in-house"...super lame...

ps3 is a much better media box

and depending on what you want to play, there are still some pretty decent splitscreen/local co-op games I THINK.

little big planet is great to play with multiple people, and you can do it on one console i think.

I say 360, mostly because that's what I use mine for (sans the wireless aspect however). Thanks to the utter lockdown of Campus internet access, I couldn't access XBL if I wanted to. So all my gaming on it is done splitscreen multiplayer or singleplayer and has been for the last four years.

Since I also have a nice PC, my choice in whether to buy a game for it is:
a.) Will others buy the PC version or not (LAN PC games still provide better multiplayer experiences IMO)

b.) is the PC version loaded with utterly horrendous DRM? (if yes, automatic buy on the 360 version if I buy the game)

c.) are my friends interested in playing this game? for example my recent purchase of BlazBlue has become something of a hit, and my 360 has gotten a lot of sudden everyday use...

Though you can take my recommendation with a grain of salt, because I have no experience whatsoever about the PS3 and couldn't say if it was better or not.

and the Wii just can't keep up to our demands (we own one)...
Bwah? What games have you been playing on the Wii? It seems like the Wii would be an obvious choice for local multiplayer. If you need a Wii game to play until you purchase a 360 or PS3, I'd highly recommend Tatsunoko v. Capcom.

Then again, most of the friends I would play video games with are in other cities and states, so I don't have much in the way of personal experience to offer.

If it were me, I'd get the PS3.

But I'm planning to wait for a certain single-player JRPG to be announced and released before buying another console. Plus I like to have some confidence that my hardware that I spend a few hundred dollars will work in 6-12 months. But hey, that's just me (and my uncanny ability to bend the laws of probability). Elihu (who bends the laws of probability in the opposite direction) has had a 360 for a few years now with no hardware issues. I don't know if the 360 hardware failure rate is a concern for the average potential customer these days.

Elihu (who bends the laws of probability in the opposite direction) has had a 360 for a few years now with no hardware issues. I don't know if the 360 hardware failure rate is a concern for the average potential customer these days.

I'm fairly certain that all the old problematic 360s have been shifted off the market, so unless you buy off ebay or something, the RROD issues have been taken care of and a normal unit is likely to last just as long as any other console. The only damage caused by the RROD now is the long term damage to the Xbox's reputation.

Well, we are back from Gamestop, and I bought...nothing...the store was way too crowed, and due to the people there and my kids I could not concentrate enough to make a rational decision... If I buy a console it will be the PS3, I just don't know when or if I will buy one...plus, after pricing out the controllers and games and what not I was looking at spending $600 today...($800 if I went Xbox 360)...and in my mind at the moment I cannot justify that amount...

Last edited:
Sounds like the decision was made before you created the poll.

I was strongly leaning towards the PS3, mainly because of how much cheaper it would be overall...but I really wanted as many peoples input as I could get to see if I missed anything in my research...and see how others experiences have been on the PS3 or Xbox 360 or both... :)

I've had two 360's so far, each dieing after a week, one of them twice. Now when I play my 360 (for the solid JRPGs mainly), I always have to have a fan nearby to make sure it doesn't overheat. I have a 3 month gold membership which I haven't used since, well, I don't like gaming online with the 360, nor do I enjoy paying for it. The small HDD, lack of wireless internet, and (imo) same-ish shooters that the 360 has for exclusives makes it hard for me to recommend a 360.

PS3, I've never had any problems with it, the wifi and free PSN is great, I like the controller more (d-pad is better for fighting games), and the exclusives have been in Sony's favor for the last year or so (Uncharted 2, inFamous, MGS4, etc.). With that said, the only thing I would say you "need" for a PS3 besides another controller for buddies, is these. Five bucks for two grips, and they are INCREDIBLY useful for gaming.

tl;dr - 360 broke down too much, afraid to play it. PS3 is solid and possibly a better choice for online gaming and more unique exclusives.

Last edited:
My son bought a Xbox 360. He is enjoying it. But, it really depends mostly on what your friends or you kids friends own. The key to either being long lasting fun is the ability to play multi play online.

Personally in my research I was far more comfortable with the PS3 and Sony than the xbox and MS.

But, it is like the force, we must all choose a side. Choose wisely...

Gotta go with the 360 on this And before you PS3'rs say anything, realize that I own a Wii, PS3 and an XBX360. My xbox stays in the living room BECAUSE it gets played more often between me, my wife and friends. While I enjoy all of the consoles, I get much more use out of the 360 because of the broad range of titles available.

If you're looking at getting controllers and a wireless adapter, consider getting one off of ebay at a much reduced price. I bought my controllers on sale and my wireless adapter from a local gaming store used, and none have had issues. Just looked on Ebay today and found a wireless adapter for $20 and 2 controllers for $10 each.

One thing you might also keep in mind\try is to playtest them. Go to some game stores and play with the consoles they have setup there. Get the feel of the controllers the menu systems, and the games. See which you like better from a hands-on perspective. In the end, its all about what makes you happy playing.

If I buy a console it will be the PS3, I just don't know when or if I will buy one...plus, after pricing out the controllers and games and what not I was looking at spending $600 today...($800 if I went Xbox 360)...and in my mind at the moment I cannot justify that amount...
And now we come to the core of the matter.

What many people forget when considering purchasing a new console is that buying the console itself is only the initial purchase. Tack on an extra controller (I miss the 16-bit console days when systems still came with two controllers), one or two games, and an accessory or two (e.g. wireless adapter for the 360, HDMI cable for either system, PS2 Memory Card Adapter for the PS3, etc.), figure in tax for all those items, and suddenly you're looking at spending 1.5 times to twice that $299 price point.

At this point, I'm planning to wait until I find a job, my wife and I move into a house, we buy a HDTV and new entertainment system, and a certain development studio releases the next game in a certain RPG franchise in the US before buying a PS3.

Until then, I have more than enough games to occupy my gaming time.

HDMI is cheap if you know where to look :p
Aye, I know. I bought a high-grade (not the "value" grade) 6-ft. HDMI cable for $17 shipped. I haven't had much chance to use it, but bought it because my new notebook support HDMI out. I imagine the cable will get plenty of use once I get a HDTV. Might have to pick up a wireless mouse and keyboard (when I get a HDTV) for some PC gaming on a much larger screen. :D

In a recent turn of events (issues with my media center and some other junk) I might, again, be buying a PS3 after I take my child to school... I have recently found out that there are working PS2 -> PS3 Controller adapters, and using GameFly or my local BlockBuster's Game pass would really save me money and help me to get to play more games... Which looks like I would only be spending around $450 for the system, an additional PS3 controller, 2 converters, and a couple of older used games that I want...and I will have a working media center... :p ...will let you know if I change my mind again...lol...

So, I am back now and bought a 360...PS3s are sold out everywhere and they are back ordered for months... And Best Buy had a deal, buy the elite bundle pack for $300 and get a $50 best buy gift card :D

Back