Mark 15:27-41: A snapshot of human nature?

Tek7 (Legacy)

CGA & ToJ President
While reading through Mark 15 earlier tonight, three things caught my attention:

1. The people torturing Jesus while he hung on the cross were not just looking to silence a radical philosopher for the benefit of the community and state; they hated Christ and reveled in his suffering. This scene supports the idea that people, in their natural state, are barbaric and wicked. Many people would say that the human race has developed in the last few thousand years, but I present the theory that humanity maintains the same nature it has held since the fall: prideful and evil.

2. People called for Christ to save himself; they also guessed that he was calling for Elijah. This gross misunderstanding (whether a result of apathetic ignorance, fearful refusal to consider Christ's claim, or an angry rejection of his claim to be the son of God), coupled with the extremely violent treatment he endured on the cross, paints an image of humanity as not only barbarous, but also uninterested in truth. These people held to their own preconceived notions regarding the Messiah rather than admit the possibility of their error. Instead of listening to his message, weighing it against Scripture, and seeking answers in prayer, they merely jumped to violence when given the opportunity.

3. There seem to be more female disciples than male disciples at the cross. While I abide by Scriptures that place the husband in charge of the family, I do want to highlight the strength and "toughness" of women as presented in this text. Women play important roles in the Bible and deserve respect. While husbands are called to protect their wives, let us never look down condescendingly and believe for a moment that women are, by nature, weak.

Back