Mage essentials?

Jethiel

I know everyone has their own custom setups that they are used to; but are there some addons that I really shouldn't be without? I'm just starting up and would like to know the best ones out there right away.

Agent 6. out.

If you use a data broker display mod (Docking station, Chocolate bar, titan panel etc) then there is a display called Broker Portals. Its kind of like portal box, you click on it and it opens and shows all your teleports etc. however it also shows your hearth or recall (if you’re a shaman) so it works with all the classes, not just mages.

I dl'ed some of those addons but didn't see the button in the bottom left hand corner during login that they said should be there to activate them. I unzipped the files into the correct location as well. tips? pointers?

*I am green thru and thru

Make sure that your new addons aren't being disabled because WoW considers them to be "out of date". Quite a few addon publishers don't update their addons from patch to patch. While they may in fact work just fine, WoW considers them out of date, so you may need to select the Load Out of Date Addons to see them.

Not saying this is why you can't see them, but this is one of the reasons why addons may not work for you...

The problem is that I can't even find the 'addons' button to manage them...hmm

And I also added the Burning Crusade upgrade for a 10 day trial but my load screen is still 'wrath of the lich king'. How would I know that I have the burning crusade upgrade then? shouldn't the client have to be downloaded?

They're the same client.

The way to tell that you have TBC is hit the "new character" button. If you can make Draenai and Alliance Shamans, you've activated TBC.

Your "Addons" button is on your character selection screen.

yeah, found my "Addons" button after I right clicked my WoW icon and selected "run as administrator" - found that in a help section. Love arkinventory and mage nuggets; anything else other mages find useful? Alan, I think what you are describing in Portal Box is also included in Mage Nuggets...I now notice another bubble icon on the top left area of my corner world map. When I open it there is a list of 10-14 teleports and portal spells. Obviously I can't use them yet because of my level but it sure looks like a handy tab. Also has my hearthstone in it.

You should have at least the following:

ClassTimer or Scorchio
ForteXorcist
BigBrother
Satriana Buff Frames (can also be used to replace CT / Scorchio)
Grid (decursing)
Omen
Skada Damage Meter (or Recount...Skada is a little more interesting and less CPU/Mem intensive)
MSBT
Quartz

You won't get nearly as much benefit at a low level as you will at 80, but it's a start. At 80...this list grows :D

thanks nattyg! I'll look through this list and find what is beneficial now and ones that I should install higher in levels. Also want to research and find out what each of them is for :)

Another good one I found recently was DPSTime. It basically shows you when you're mashing buttons too slowly and looks like it has some sort of rotation component to it (which I imagine is fairly simple and doesn't consider things like tier bonuses).

Back