L4D2 Profanity Filter

18 downloads (minus the one I did myself to test it) after a day! This makes me happy! Thanks for your support guys.

I've left posts on the L4D2 forum and, now, here as well requesting this mod. I've tried to get it from the aforementioned website but I get an error saying it doesn't exist anymore. Any way I can get this mod from you? Thanks in advance

Stephen

Thanks!~

Thanks a lot Jason I'm going to give it a try! Games are much more enjoyable without all that stuff in my opinion:rolleyes:

Thanks again

Thanks a lot for the link, it doesn't get it all out but it zaps about 95% of it and that's pretty good in my book!

Sorry Ruger, hadn't been checking this forum in a while. That is the most up-to-date version (which is pretty old). I've uninstalled the game so I'm not too concerned with updating the filter. You're more than welcome to dismantle it and update it yourself though. I can explain the process if you have any desire to do so.

I am very interested in picking up where it was left off...

The link doesn't work anymore, but I am very interested in picking up where it was left off. My son really wants to play with me and my wife but the profanity is just too much on L4D2. There are just over 2,000 files and I was going to tackle the task but the work already done would really give me a great head start. Send me a link if you have one.

If this gets updated and usable PLEASE let me know. I'm very interested in this (or any language filter for any game).

The link doesn't work anymore, but I am very interested in picking up where it was left off. My son really wants to play with me and my wife but the profanity is just too much on L4D2. There are just over 2,000 files and I was going to tackle the task but the work already done would really give me a great head start. Send me a link if you have one.
I'm pretty sure the original is lost - new computer (mod not transferred) and deleted the copy on my skydrive. I was considering creating a filter for upload to the workshop - but I don't know what the upload limits are. I should look into it. I currently play the game with the audio set to Russian (since I don't know Russian). It's amusing and annoying at the same time. Give me some time - my last count was well over 10000 English 'survivor' audio files that would need to be scanned through.

Edit: Upload limit of 200MB. If it runs over that the mod would have to be split into two (or more).

Last edited:
Ok, I'm running through the audio files. I'm doing it a little different this time because how I did it last time caused some sound issues. It may take me a little while longer to do it (in other words, don't expect it in a day or two).

I've separated out Coach and Nick's tracks that have language in them (about 5000 files scanned - 612 offending files). I've replaced them with blank files (yay for programming skills to avoid manually duplicating the blank Wav file and renaming it) and plan to test it this weekend. Of course, this only includes the two characters for the original 5 maps. I still need to run through the other characters as well as the DLC (additional maps + L4D1 characters) voices. If it works without the horrific screeching that occurred sometimes in the other filter I made then I will plan on just replacing all the offending files with blank sound files. If the screeching occurs then I will test the set of manually edited coach files (yes, it took forever) to see if that works. If the blank sounds work, I will NOT be manually editing all of the offending files as that is extremely tedious and time consuming.

I just need to relearn how to create the working VPK.

Ok, the good news: I was able to create a working VPK and figured out where the upload is for the workshop. Also, the add-on is replacing the sounds.

The bad news: I did hear at least one sound glitch which means the sounds might be expecting a certain length (the blank sound I was using was about .25 seconds long).

I think what I will do is create a "lite" version to begin with. This will replace the phrases with the blank sound and we can just live with the glitches. This allows the VPK to stay at a manageable size (5MB vs about 80MB for Coach and Nick). Then once that is complete I will consider going back and merely muting the offending words and phrases within the original lines and releasing that as a "full" version.

I count about 5000 more between Rochelle and Ellis in the regular 5 missions. Then it is around 5000 for each of the 3 dlc folders. Needless to say, it will take me some time to run through the rest of the sound files. (Around 20,000 files to go through by my general count). I hope to have the original 5 missions complete by Friday. Then I may post the alpha version of the lite filter to the workshop.

Please keep us updated! I'd be happy to help test the mod. :)

Please keep us updated! I'd be happy to help test the mod. :)
Thank you. I'll let you know when it is posted. My tests over the weekend with Coach/Nick ended up with a number of sound glitches. As stated above, this may be irreconcilable with just blanking out the sounds. I have already silenced individual words for Coach but I have not tested yet. I want to get the blank filter up and running before I do any more with that.

Finished up Ellis (2500 more files sorted through) and generated the blank sounds. Didn't feel like tackling Rochelle (2000+ files) so I skipped to the first DLC (I believe for The Passing). Made it through Francis, Coach, Nick, Louis, and partway through Ellis (2500 files for the entire DLC). Tomorrow I hope to finish Rochelle which would tie off the original 5 maps. If I have enough time I will try to finish up DLC1 as well. The other two DLCs may take a day each, won't know for sure until I get into them.

Last edited:
Finished up Rochelle and DLC1 as hoped for. Also went through NPC dialog (Virgil, pilot, etc) for the entire set and actually just muted the offending words or phrases while attempting to keep the dialog as much as possible (since there is less than 20 files to change). Now just the character files for DLC2 and DLC3 (Bill, Zoey, Francis, and Louis) to run through. Still about 12000 files so hopefully I can still hit Friday for uploading the Lite version.

Back