KLHThreatMeters

Neirai the Forgiven

Christian Guilds List Manager
This Mod was suggested to me by Five, a friend of mine from Uther's Champions. While it is still in more or less of a Beta form, apparently it works great.

Benefit: Allows the raid to see who is creating the most threat and how to effectively pace damage. For a fight like Onyxia, it allows casters to do more than simply wanding, without pulling aggro --- because you can just pace yourself at about 50% of the MT's threat value. Also, it lets you see who the #2 threat player is, for fights like Vaelstratz and Hakkar, and whether your last three spell crits in a row are putting you dangerously close to pulling aggro.

Drawback: The only drawback I have heard is its requirements. First, it requires everyone in the raid to be using it, or else its threat lists become wildly innaccurate. Secondly, in order to not break your channel cap, it uses your CTRA channel... which is no problem at all, unless you don't have CTRA.

Conclusion: I'm gonna be pitching this as a must-have to the SGA raiders... I think it has some major benefit for raiders in general. However, I'm not 100% sure that it is useful to us in the hear-and-now, although it will be once we get to Hakkar.

Threatmeters are nothing new. There is a roughly 50 page thread in the Raid and Instances forum in the WoW forums. Some people use them and swear by them, other people say it's Easy Mode (tm) and will not use them. SGA is of the latter. It says something about the SGA when we are one of only a VERY few guilds out there downing Vael without Threatmeters.

Right now there is no interest from our SGA tanks to start using Threatmeters.

I spend a lot of time during fights trying to decide whether i should be holding back on damage or not..and suspect that there are a lot of times that I'm wasting damage potential for fear of drawing agro. If nothing else, I am interested in using it for a while to confirm or destroy my theories on agro management in places like Onyxia. Easy mode or not, there is a lot of misinformation floating around.

On a side note, I've been testing it while I play with Mike on our L40 priest & rogue combo. It seems to be fairly accurrate, except when an ability says "causes a high amount of threat" it doesn't generate accurate info... It also doesn't add threat for shields or heals properly. There were several times that I had 20-30 threat, Mike had 300-400 and I had the mob agroing on me.

But for straight damage, the numbers generated looked right. It also made it nice because i could see that I had agro at 300, mike had 700 threat...if we had more people in the party, we could tell them to stay below mike to not gain agro...pass us both to get it....

The only real issue I have had so far in this is it uses the CTRaid channel that for some reason some people actually watch and with the spam that this incorporates into that channel was asked to disable this mod. I just changed raid channels.

The other issue I can for see is that of course the MT has to use this and that if someone is in the raid and watches the channel they will complain.

As for easy mode, BAH I say. It does make it a little easier but you have to then think about CTRaid and Decursive plus any other healing/decursing mod out there. They make play easier also. Imagine having to watch an entire raid or multiple groups to heal and/or decurse???? Which mode actually makes raiding easier? Just questions to think about.

I read that page when I was trying to learn how to tank with my warrior. It presents some very well researched information.

However, there are some variables that we can't account for just by reading that page. Is the tank continuing to spam sunders after 5? Does the tank have Imp Anything? Is the tank getting a lot of opportunities for revenge, shield bash, etc? Does jthe tank have Defiance?

I've got nowhere close the damage potential that Deedlyt has, but I find myself pulling agro from tanks when I wait for a mob to get to 90% health before I event start casting my first spell.

Having a meter would help me see where I stand - how to play my character differently to make sure that I'm maximizing my damage without causing changes in agro. If the tank is chasing a mob all over a room, the tank may need extra time to get good base agro back, etc. It's much more efficient to kill if the tank doesn't need to chase a mob back to me.

I know a lot of people see threatmeters as a crutch...but if that's the case, why am I using decursive (that autotargets, autocasts a spell with a simple keypress), damagewatch when I'm healing (which shows everyone's health bars, makes it easy to click on people to cast... gives an indicator of how much health the target is down), or mods that allow me to have 110 buttons on my screen instead of the default 12?

{sarcasm}It'd be so much better to beat Ragnaros and Ony without the ability to have all that available to me. {/sarcasm}

Back