Just started League of Legends

Luvdiscgolf

Hey guys, I just started playing League of Legends this week and am in definite need of some instruction. I've tried several Champions and most often I just get it handed to me every game. I've only played the players vs. bots Beginner difficulty games. I've got several of the cheaper pointed characters unlocked and either I haven't found the one that matches how I like to play or I just am clueless as to how properly play the game. My summoner is up to level 7. If anyone is regularly online in the evenings, that's when my best chance of making it online is.

My summoner is: Fidoc

I also added my name to the stickied link at the top of the page. Thanks!

Hey guys, I just started playing League of Legends this week and am in definite need of some instruction. I've tried several Champions and most often I just get it handed to me every game. I've only played the players vs. bots Beginner difficulty games. I've got several of the cheaper pointed characters unlocked and either I haven't found the one that matches how I like to play or I just am clueless as to how properly play the game. My summoner is up to level 7. If anyone is regularly online in the evenings, that's when my best chance of making it online is.

My summoner is: Fidoc

I also added my name to the stickied link at the top of the page. Thanks!

Welcome Fidoc! I just sent you a freinds request : ) I'd be more than happy to help you! I currently have well over 1,000 wins in ranked. I only use AD champs so if your into ap champs i'd contact turbo or jam.

Last edited:
My off-the-top-of-my-head recommendations for ToJ members new to LoL:

Don't play with strangers while learning. The LoL community is one of THE most toxic gaming communities online. I enjoy learning new characters when playing with ToJ members, but I wouldn't even attempt the same with random LoL players.

You shouldn't have any trouble finding other ToJ members to help you learn the game, so fret not! If it's all for the purpose of instruction, I'd even be willing to play LoL more than once every two weeks. :)

Don't play as Ashe or other super-squishy characters while learning. It's just frustrating. I almost quit the game after getting stomped multiple times in a row. It wasn't until I found a sturdier character that could still do reasonable damage that I started to enjoy LoL.

A character like Sivir is fantastic for a new LoL player. Nunu would probably be a good pick, too, depending on your play style.

In fact, I'd recommend telling us about your play style preferences and we could probably recommend a few good characters to try based on the information you post.

On a related note: Pay attention to the "Difficulty" rating of characters in their profiles. I strongly recommend playing any champs listed as "Hard" Difficulty for a while. (I seriously don't know why Morgana is listed as "Hard" Difficulty, though.)

Try not to buy a character until you've played as him or her. You can check this link (which I suggest you bookmark) to see which 10 champions are free to play each week. The free set tends to include a good spread of character types and will help you learn which and what types of characters you enjoy playing as.

Get on the CGA TeamSpeak Server and join one of the ToJ LoL chapter channels when you play. Keep this server status link handy, too.

Ask questions! The LoL community at large may be toxic, but the ToJ LoL players have been wonderfully patient with me. I would have uninstalled the game after the tutorial if not for Mostly_Harmless taking the time to help me learn the game.

Those are just some starter tips, but I hope they help!

OH! you get to unlock 19 new t3 runes....ok listen tek. Since you love so many champs you need a good rune set up that can work w/ anyone. Go lvl up armor for yellow, lvl up magic resist for blue, Health per lvl for quints, and red is up to you! Most people do red as armor pen or attack damage per lvl. but def do the first 3 i mentioned.

Welcome aboard Fidoc!
I agree with the above.
Some of us have 'smurf accounts' which are lower level used to try out different things.
I used to be reliable on Mondays, but now the BBall season has started, I will be on less (probably).
Save IP till level 20 or untill you find a hero you love.
Go to youtube to view guides (note some are old/out of date), or check out LOL guides here or here or here
ALWAYS gets boots :p early, maybe even as a first item as a newb. they help to get you out of the way of bad mojo...

You don't always HAVE to buy the full upgraded boots, but tier 1 boots should be bought. If you doing well you don't have to buy your tier 2 or 3 boots and just get damage items. I reccomend learning tristana first because she has a built in flash like escape and she's KYOOOT! Items you get on tristana are Infinity edge, phantom dancer, black cleaver, blood thirster, blood razor, boots, and if you get into late game, sell your boots and buy a trinity force :)

I'm in the same boat as Luvdiscgolf; I started playing League of Legends this weekend, and was getting beat pretty bad by the bots. I think I may have found a champion that I like with Tristana. I was finally able to beat the bots on a regular basis with her.

My summoner is: munshun

just started tonight

Hey all,

I just started playing this tonight - looking for some peeps to put up with me. :-D

I recognize some of the forum handles but not many around here anymore...

Alan (aka corinalbria, philippi, bria, miriallia)

I may have found my two current favorite characters: Kayle and Soraka. I have actually been doing pretty decent with both of them in the small handful of games I played the last couple days. I'm also hoping to be online this Monday evening. Later guys!

Make sure all you new fellas install teamspeak. You can catch me on there and I can help you guys out. I'm glad tristana is getting good use. She's probablly second best ad carry next to caitlyn. I forgot to mention that if you use trist, take the spells exaust and ignight. exaust rocket jump ignight combo will just about kill anyone. If you find yourself still dying and rocket jump isn't enough escape, try taking flash, but when you get good at map awareness, try to use ignight insted.

I may have found my two current favorite characters: Kayle and Soraka. I have actually been doing pretty decent with both of them in the small handful of games I played the last couple days. I'm also hoping to be online this Monday evening. Later guys!

awesome! I'd message turbo164 about what builds to get on those champs. No one knows this game better than he does here. I don't play AP champs so i'm not entierly sure on what to get in certain situations. All i can say is that rod of ages is a safe be on a soraka ^_^; Catch me on teamspeak!

Make sure all you new fellas install teamspeak. You can catch me on there and I can help you guys out. I'm glad tristana is getting good use. She's probablly second best ad carry next to caitlyn. I forgot to mention that if you use trist, take the spells exaust and ignight. exaust rocket jump ignight combo will just about kill anyone. If you find yourself still dying and rocket jump isn't enough escape, try taking flash, but when you get good at map awareness, try to use ignight insted.

I'm not up with all the lingo yet, what is an AD CARRY?

Ill try and add you all next time i get on LoL. I normally always play AP or a tank character, Never do i play ad, bc i suck with them so i stay away. Im on most the time at night around 10-11 EST.

Back