Insane!

[toj.cc]phantom

Tribe of Judah Membership Administrator
I just caved and bought WoW. I said I'd never do it, talked about how lame it was, but I still bought it. Unfortunately for some insane reason the patches are taking forever to Download. Now, I ask you way does Blizzard no just reprint the games with all the latest patched already installed? Because that would go a long way to make not use my disc as a Frisbee and just let my account rot.

Blizzard is actually not bad at how they work their patches but all truth be told, clean install can be troublesome. Once you are caught up, patches are downloaded in the background, then when the day comes to release the patch, the program goes and grabs the last MB or two to enable the patch code.

Clean installs can be troublesome, or long and boring. If you have a CD key, you probably can download the game from Blizzard and the download may or may not included the patches. But that will be a few Gigs of DLing.

Depending on which version you are instaling (Just WoW Classice, or WoW and first expansion or Wow and two expansions), there will be more or less patches to install. If you are going Classic and two expansions, you just install classic, TBC exp, WoTLK exp, and then a few minor patches. If it is just Classic Wow, I can think of three major patches and a few minors.

I recommend a three-step process:
  1. Find a download link for the biggest patch you can find. (That should get you as close to the latest version as possible with one file.) Set it download overnight.
  2. Get up the next morning, double-click the patch file, start the patching process, and go eat breakfast.
  3. After you've had a tasty breakfast, go back and patch using the game's auto-patch system. The incremental patches will be substantially smaller than the primary patch.
Of course, I haven't played World of Warcraft since the Burning Crusade beta, so I don't know if that approach still works.

I believe I'm on the Aerie Peak (sp?) server and I'm Horde, my cousin got me into it, so I joined the same one as him so he could help me out.

Back