I need some advice...

Taledin

But first, I want to state that I feel like I ask for too much and I do not give enough. I am trying to change that cause it makes me feel sad and guilty =(. So if anyone needs advice I am going to try and download the IM's again... last time it didn't work.

As I was saying... I need advice on what I should do about getting "caught" smoking on school grounds. I have caught in quotes because I believe that the security guards actions towards me were unjust. I was on the sidewalk and in Jacksonville, Florida it doesn't matter if you are on the sidewalk smoking because it's public property. You know what can they do? But In GA they have 1k foot drug laws and I didn't know that. So my dad drives in to pick me up and I walk into the parking lot. Mind you I was JUST going to get in the car with my dad and drive home and enjoy the rest of my day, however the guard had something different planned for me. He yelled to me, "YO!!! HEY KID!!!" I AM 18 YEARS OLD ALMOST 19. I was insulted but I kept my cool. And trust me, I used to fly off the handle at the drop of a hat so I did good. Anyway, I stopped and opened the car door and as he was approaching me he said, "What the (bad word)(bad word) are you doing?!" I looked at him and straightened my back and looked him in the eye with respect and I told him, "I was getting in my dad's car so I can go home. Is there problem?" He says, "Do you think I am (bad word) stupid?!" I told him that I was not going to dignify that with a response. He then went on to tell me, "I am talking about the smoke in your hand! I know you know it's illegal to smoke on school grounds!!!" I tried to tell him that I come from Florida but he told me to shut up. And then he told my dad that he wasn't going to waste his time talking to him. That him and I were going to take a little hike to the administrators office. I went willingly and about half way through the walk I started to say, "With all due respect..." and he interrupted me and said, "No, I don't hold conversations with little kids who disrespect me like that!" So about that time I almost flew off the handle. But I said, "Sir. How have I disrespected you? Can you tell me that?" and he did not answer. He just looked at me with a sour face. When I got to the administrator he told his part and the administrator believed him. I told the administrator exactly what I tried to tell the guard and he actually listened, however, I still may be removed from the school attendance. If that happens then I have to get a GED which is what I was trying to avoid. Life has been too rough for me growing up and I don't want my education to be destroyed because of the "adults" on a campus where the students are supposed to be treated like adults but are not. I have dreams for making a business selling computers and reptiles and this may compromise that. What can I do??? What should I do??? And why does God let this happen to me? I know the bible says he won't give me anything I can't handle but he's cuttin it close I can tell ya that...:mad:

Ugh, what a nasty situation. Since this all happened in front of your father, I'd suggest seeing if he's willing to get involved - talk to the principal about the behavior of the security guard, about the situation as a whole. Sometimes incidents may need to be taken to the school board to get fixed.

However, on the other hand, ignorance of rules doesn't make it okay to break them. If the school rule (and Georgia law) say that 1000' is the perimeter, then that's the rules. Understand that your situation (and punishment) may not change no matter how rude the guard was, how different the rules are, or how silly the whole thing seems.

I think the whole situation was uncalled for. I was clearly 1k feet away but I had no idea that that was the law. The only reason I entered the parking lot was to get in the car. >.< I think he just wanted his quota for the day so he could get on the "force" =P. (That was terrible.) I don't mind rules. They keep the peace. Sense It would make me a better Christen/person I think I will just let it go. A GED isn't the end of the world. I really appreciate your advice Xion. =D

Back