Here's to new hardware!

adam.skinner

It’s funny how things work out sometimes.

On Friday, I was talking hardware with one of my co-workers, and showed him an article from Ars where they pretty much said “AMD sucks”. Now in 2010, I purchased an AMD processor for my computer. So I felt like enough time had passed and I was due for an upgrade, and I can’t hit max settings with GW2 using my current hardware (which includes an nVidia 560 ti). So after some deliberation, and consideration of Windows 8, I pulled the trigger on a new processor and motherboard. It should be here on Tuesday.

Now Saturday morning was the advent of Guild Wars 2 live. I’ve been playing the beta for the past few months and it’s always been fun. I’d scattered my characters across all of the different racial homelands, and so I have a familiarity with them all, up until about level 15, at which point I’d switch to another character. In the most recent BWE I made it to level 20 with a rogue.

So when live started, I chose to start a Norn Mentalist. He’s level 21 now. Yes, I played pretty much all day long.

One of the things that escaped me during the BWE was the fact that the crafting experience is actually a subset of the main experience pool. By this I mean if you perform a crafting action, you get “real” experience points. These experience points can be had from acquiring resources from nodes scatted across the maps, as well as crafting items with those resources. For example, as a low level character, if you stumble across a copper vein and take your pickaxe to it, it will yield about 15 total xp. As a level 20 character, you get 15xp a whack, which is usually 45xp. Now, xp yielded for killing a mob is about 10-15, with bonuses for killing things that haven’t been killed in a while (often triple the base xp).

This results in a completely interesting situation: I am incentivized to keep an eye on my minimap and harvest as many resource nodes as I can. This does not clutter your inventory (for long), since you have the ability to simply send craftable material “away” to storage, where it will be available at the crafting stations. I find myself seeking these nodes more than mobs, in most cases. If a mob is in my way, I will kill it to get to the resource node.

Paring this with the fact that the nodes become unavailable once tapped (per a per character basis), and the fact that you get experience simply for exploring (reaching “points of interest”, vistas, and waypoints), and I am rewarded for exploring. I love to explore, and it’s great that it’s actually giving me xp to do it.

As a Mesmer, I’ve chosen Artificing and Jewellery. It’s kind of funny, since my original EQ character was a jeweller of some small repute. I really wanted to get into cooking (since that has benefits across the board), but it looks more expensive and I simply don’t have the funds at this time. My character’s sitting on around 30 silver right now.

I realise at this point I’ve gone on quite a tangent. Back to my hardware situation: after ordering a new barebones on Friday, on Saturday my computer fritzed out. Just shut down and wouldn’t power back on. The box was mighty hot, but all the fans were blowing (I may need more fans!). To start it back up, I removed all of the components from the motherboard and put them back in one by one. That did the trick.

For a while. Today, it died on me again. When I took the cover off and tried to restart it, actual FIRE showed itself on the motherboard, along with the smell of burning circuitry. Undeterred, I waited a little while and started it back up again. While it did work, it didn’t work for long.

So I’m on unstable computer ground for the next couple of days, which kind of sucks because I have a “3 day head start” (whatever that means, the servers are already packed) for preordering.

Here’s to new hardware! May it never catch on fire.

I are a little confoosed. You say you have an Nvidia 560ti yet you can't max the settings. I am using an Nvidia GTS 250 and I max all but 2 settings and getting an average of 55-65 fps, what's wrong here? You are several generations above me but according to what you say you are struggling to get max settings. I was looking at upgrading my video card to a 560 or in that range, yet this says stay with the GTS 250, which is only a glorified 9800.

ursen said:
You have an Nvidia 560ti yet you can't max the settings. I am using an Nvidia GTS 250 and I max all but 2 settings and getting an average of 55-65 fps, what's wrong here? You are several generations above me but according to what you say you are struggling to get max settings. I was looking at upgrading my video card to a 560 or in that range, yet this says stay with the GTS 250, which is only a glorified 9800.

Unfortunately, "average" fps doesn't really show the real picture does it? I've realised this for a while now, but Ars Technica has started to base their benchmarks on it. If a game gets crushed in a big zone when maxed, or during a big fight, isn't that what we care about?

During the late beta (once the GPU stuff had been activated) I tried maxing and got a slowdown. Now, I may have been misinformed, but I'm not sure, since now my computer won't even boot into Windows (or Linux!; I think it's trying to activate an integrated peripheral and then it just zonks out).

Before I purchased the 560 ti, I had a pair of 8800s (which is very much the same as the 9800 performance wise, whereas the GTS 250 acts like a pair of 9800s in SLI).

As far as my processor goes, it was an AMD Phenom X4 965 Black (4201 Passmark). The processor in transit is an Intel Core i5 3570K (Passmark 7717).

So why'd I make the switch? Well, it's a little more complicated than just synthetic benchmarks, or even real world performance. My motherboard did not support USB 3.0, and the add-on card I got didn't work. I was considering purchasing a new motherboard anyway.

However, the article I mentioned earlier at Ars Technica had a couple of interesting graphs in it, the final one being this:

value.gif

another telling graphic is this:

skyrim-beyond-16.gif

Information like this holds a lot more weight with me than a Passmark score, since any lowly netbook can handle the rest of my non-gaming computing tasks (aside from, perhaps, HD video rendering).

The motherboard I got I didn't spend a whole lot of time vetting; I just went to Newegg and found a popular model. My only prerequisites were USB 3.0 and SLI compatibility. I ended up with the ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3.

Last edited:
Well, ASRock is taking their sweet time sending me the updated BIOS I need, but I did end up replacing my shot motherboard and have been using that.

The upside of this is that I was able to check out my video settings. Everything has auto-detected to the highest settings, with the exception of "Render Sampling", which is at "Native" (the higher level is "Supersample"). With these settings using the 560ti and 965, on the login screen I show an FPS of 63.

Last edited:
I'm hoping to build a new one myself, soon...ish. Been looking at the 3770k. Did you go with the i5 for the cost savings? Or was it for a different reason? Would of course love to go with one of the new sandy's but man... expensive. The 3820 looks good to I'm just not that crazy about the 2011 socket. What where your thoughts and what made your choice? Also what do think about the nvidia 660ti?

I try to weight cost and performance. I probably could have increased the ratio but not getting the "k" version (per the scatter above), but I'm pleased with the choice of processor.

nVidia has always been a good choice for graphics cards. Since making my purchase of the 560ti, I haven't been "in the market", so I'm not sure what the best buy is today. I imagine the 660 is a fine card; what you're looking for there (again) is price/performance.

my parts are finally in the mail lol;
(keep in mind i'm a first timer)

ECS A780LM-M(1.0) AMD 760G SOCKET AM3 MOTHERBOARD
AMD Athlon II X3 450 3.2ghz AM3 CPU (triple core)
Crucial 4GB DDR3 1333 PC3-10600 Ballistix 240pin (i'll add 4GB later)

and a CGA member has generously donated a video card to me
that will be in the mail as well

Back