Help! Need Christians to take survey for my book!

GameProf

[Apologies for cross-posting, but I was told it was best to put this announcement in a few different forums!]

I’m a gamer and media professor writing a book on video games from a Christian perspective. One of my chapters is on video games and community, and to write it, I need your help!

I’ve set up a survey at http://app.fluidsurveys.com/surveys/kevinschut/games-community-christians/. It takes about 10 to 20 minutes to complete, and it’s all about how Christians play video games with other people and the kind of gaming communities they’re a part of. If you choose to participate, you may take the survey anonymously, and even if you choose to leave some identification, your real identity will remain completely confidential when I publish.

As an extra incentive, I’m offering all participants the chance to win a $50 gift certificate for Game Stop.

I really want to give Christian gamers a chance to speak for themselves about their gaming. This research is legit and above-board, the ethics of the project have been reviewed by the Research Ethics Board at my university (http://www.twu.ca), and as you can see from the questions, there’s nothing secret or weird going on here. However, if you’re not sure, you can check out my profile at (http://www.twu.ca/directory/faculty/kevin-schut.html) and you are welcome to send me emails about the project at ChristianGameCommunity@gmail.com (a temporary email that I’ll close when the project is over).

I need responses completed by Friday, November 4, although I may take a few late submissions. PLEASE HELP ME OUT AND CIRCULATE THIS ANNOUNCEMENT TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS YOU CAN THINK OF!

Thanks so much for your time!

Kevin Schut
Trinity Western University

Hey all, I would encourage your participation. It is important, especially in the academic circles, to have research on this topic. At the very least, take the opportunity to review the survey. This is the 2nd time we have had the opportunity to witness into the academic circles and I am a firm believer there is value in being heard.

Adam

Thanks much! I am actually in the middle of reading the ethnography on you guys. It's very complimentary...

I really enjoyed your survey Kevin and am intrigued to read your findings. Thanks for letting us join with you in your research!

Ummmm, for those of us who aren't as smart as you are GameProf (this covers the majority of the officer corps and Joe), can you use smaller words please - lol. What da heck is an "enthography"?

Sorry--that's the term Kaiousei used, so I thought you were familiar with it. An ethnography is a term from anthropology (the study of humans; the stereotype is the 19th century scholar who goes and lives with "the natives" somewhere for years). An ethnography is a super-in-depth study of a group of people, where you spend time with them and observe them really carefully. That's what Kaiousei did with you guys: she essentially lived with you online and took notes, and then wrote about it. It's actually a sub-branch of ethnography called "participant observation" where she actually participated in your activities, rather than just lurking.

I'm not doing that--I'm doing surveys and perhaps follow-up interviews.

Hope that helps,

Kevin

Thanks to all who've participated. If you know anyone who hasn't, let them know that next Friday's the deadline!

Kevin

Back