!!!!! Help Meh

what what whaaaat? the wii has solid graphics and great sound quality?! it's analog, for one, stereo for 2 and i can't remember...is the picture at best piped over s-video or is it rca as well?

there's nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooox100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

comparison between the a/v capabilities of a ps3/360 and a wii. wii's are good for parties, not for going comatose looking at a gorgeous display and being immersed in high quality audio

what what whaaaat? the wii has solid graphics and great sound quality?! it's analog, for one, stereo for 2 and i can't remember...is the picture at best piped over s-video or is it rca as well?

there's nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooox100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

comparison between the a/v capabilities of a ps3/360 and a wii. wii's are good for parties, not for going comatose looking at a gorgeous display and being immersed in high quality audio

That and that 90% of the decent games are in house with nintendo. I mean that is great if you like playing the same characters for 20 years in a row.

I just don't like comparing the few ps3 hardware failures with constant RROD and other failures the 360 has. The only person I have ever witnessed complaining about their PS3 overheating had it sitting on their carpet.

I am tending to agree with nevi on this one... (and that like, never happens, because he is a total Microsoft fanboy... shows you how many marbles he has left.)

The Wii does have good graphics (meaning they are not terrible) but the Xbox and PS3 graphics are better. I am not sure about the sound, because the sound capabilities are only as good as the speakers that produce the sound.

Nintendo has always been an innovator (N64's joystick on the controller instead of the 4-way pad as the main means of direction and the rumble pack... Sony "borrowed" both of these ideas...), where everyone else has been improving on the obvious: graphics, sound, etc. Think of them as race cars. Sony and Microsoft make cars with enormous amounts of horsepower, making them accelerate very quickly and Nintendo just build a Mazda Miata. While the Miata may not accelerate as fast as the PS3 or Xbox "cars" you have to drive it in a different manner to have fun in/with it.

Nintendo makes you play their games in a different way than Microsoft and Sony do, and I commend them for it. But in doing so I believe that it has cost them game titles that could other wise have been added to their library of games for the Wii. Until that happens, I don't think I'll buy one, sadly.

Last edited:
Throwing my 2 cents in there...
Last Christmas season I debated between the two systems (360 and PS3). At first, I wanted the Xbox 360 because it had a few more popular game titles (like halo or whatever), and it was like $50 cheaper, but then I compared the systems hardware wise and dependability wise. And wow, sooo sooo many hardware failures with the Xbox 360. You have to pay quite a bit for extras like the HD DVD on Xbox where the Blu-ray is standard on the PS3, like others have said. And HD DVD is being dominated by Blu-ray in the markets. All games for the PS3 are made onto a Blu-Ray disc. There Xbox makes them onto a DL DVD I believe. I know quite a few geeks have been stealing their games, by guys who start copying the DVDs and reselling them for like $5 or whatever.

The PS3 is the better machine. But I do admit to wishing it had a network like Xbox LIVE, because I love online play. I still play most of my games online with no problems. You still get a friend's list, can send messages to friends, see what your friends are playing right now, talk over a mic (wired or with any bluetooth headset) with friends you're playing games with. So, it works for me.

One downside, ToJ has an Xbox LIVE chapter but not a PSNetwork chapter...I hope that changes one day.

And the PS3 is getting a lot of cool games this year. Like Blackgravity listed earlier.

One downside, ToJ has an Xbox LIVE chapter but not a PSNetwork chapter...I hope that changes one day.
All I need is someone to volunteer to establish and lead the chapter and we'll give it a go. :D

I (think I) forgot to mention in my previous posts one other bullet point in favor of the PS3: Final Fantasy XIII.

<offtopic>

Unfortunately, the series has held little interest for me since FF7 (with excellent environments and battle system, but poorly developed stereotypes posing as characters) with the exception of FF9. I couldn't tolerate to play FFVIII past the first disc, FFX inspired no confidence in character development in the first hour of gameplay, FFXI isn't a true FF because it's a MMO (and should have been titled Final Fantasy Online), and FFXII, while a gorgeous game, didn't offer emotionally engaging characters.

Other Square Enix titles only serve to remind players that both companies reached their peak with the release of Chrono Trigger in 1995. While both companies have enjoyed several very successful games since, neither company has released anything to rival CT. (Remember that Final Fantasy VI was released in 1994.)

</offtopic>

Still, FFXIII will help sell a fair number of PS3s when it's released. For me, a FF game is no longer enough reason to buy a system, but it may be sufficient for many other RPG fans.

Well the thing with Final Fantasy XIII is a 2008 release date isn't looking very likely, and the release of FF Versus XIII following at least a few months after that. I don't know how the whole "Fabula Nova Crystallis Final Fantasy XIII" thing is going to pan out, but Squeenix claims it's about twice as big of a project as the compilation of FF7 titles.

I think the biggest things the PS3 has going for it this year are Home, MGS4, and Gran Turismo 5 (I don't mean prologue), but that just seems to be buzz wise. If trends in the US follow Japan, the MGS4 bundle will sell pretty rapidly, as it seems it's exactly the thing people have been waiting on.

I would like to add, again, that the PS3 is WAY ahead of the 360 when it comes to hardware performance. Yes, you may have to deal with a 4-5 GB base install for some games (Blu-Ray reads VERY slowly) but it hasn't ruined the console for me. It does run pretty hot, but the newer chipsets are a LOT cooler than launch, and much quieter too.

Blueray actually reads very fast due to the density of the disk being so high, the problem is the access times. A 1x Blue ray reader will take in 36mbps of data, with the minimum to play Blue ray movies is 2x (source).

Pardon my error...I think what I meant was the access speed for data on game discs, to be more direct. That's why games like Devil May Cry 4 have a mandatory install before play, because the games weren't optimized for Blu-Ray. I know there's been a lot of discussion and downright mockery of Capcom for being lazy on that, but I don't really know the specifics. I just know that when it comes to DMC4, with the 5 GB install before play the load speeds are identical to X360, if it weren't for the install, they would be atrocious by current standards I'm sure.

Back