HELP! freezing problems

satjome

My new computer keeps freezing and I don't know what to do, I've tried reinstalling drivers,and tweaking but nothing sems to work.
I can get my computer to start up, but freezes on games and sometimes on the internet. My system specs:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+
512 mb rosewill ram
80 gb hd ExelStor
win XP home
Gigabyte Radeon 9200SE 128 mb

please help, it's kinda annoying to get a new computer and not have it work
mad.gif
(i'm sure some of you have felt that way too)
sorry if this sounds noobish, didn't intend it that way

noob...

I dont know what to tell you, all the new PCs I have had always do that until I change almost every single option on the entire thing.

It's a BRAND new computer?

If it is, just take it back to where you got it and let them deal with it, that's the easiest thing to do.

If that's not an option, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

EDIT, just let me throw this out there. If this isn't a brand name computer (Dell, Gateway, etc) it's possible the problem lies in the RAM. You said you have 512, so I'm assuming you have two chips of 256. What you can try is removing one stick of RAM and running your machine. I had a similar problem with my machine when I bought it. I got mine from Computer Builders Warehouse. I had a gig of ram, one 512 chip and two 256's. One of the 256 chips was bad and it was screwing with my system. Constant lockups, etc.

Let me know if that works.

OK,it's a custom comp, my dad built it for me, and i do have two sticks of 256, so i'll try that. also I get a few windows blue screen error messages: page_fault_in_nonpaged_area,
error in win32k.sys

[b said:
Quote[/b] (satjome @ Oct. 05 2004,2:18)]OK,it's a custom comp, my dad built it for me, and i do have two sticks of 256, so i'll try that. also I get a few windows blue screen error messages: page_fault_in_nonpaged_area,
error in win32k.sys
Those are EXACTLY the same errors I got.

Dollars to donuts you have either a bad memory stick or one that is incompatible with your mobo.

Silly question, but are they both the same brand, speed, etc?

yeah, 2 sticks of rosewill 256 ddr ram,were yours made by rosewill? (i still haven't reset the ram, i'd probbly ruin something, so i'm waiting for my dad)

I don't remember the make to be honest with you.

While you're waiting, go here and download the software.

It will let you test your RAM once you pull them out. Leave one stick in and run the software, if it comes up clean, take that stick out, put a new one in and rerun the test.

That's the software I used to find the problem stick.

ok, i have determined i have faulty ram (through this program : Memtest ) and had 16 errors in one complete scan of cycles, and will return to newegg for replacement (probably) Thanks! BTW, memtest doesn't require a bootable, or dos, it just runs and detects. i'll run again and sshow the exact message

EDIT: okay, 16 out of 32 cycles had errors. That means one of my ram sticks or both are faulty (i think)

I love being right
smile.gif

To determine which stick is bad, you're going to have to swap them out and test each one individually.

Otherwise, you'll have to send BOTH back and that pretty much leaves your computer worthless during the interim.

And I should thank YOU now.

I was trying to remember the name of that company for weeks now
smile.gif

I need a new keyboard/mouse and I have heard nothing but good things about that place.

Thanks!

yeah, my dad will walk me through switching and removing the sticks, fairly simple porcess from what i understand. I had the same thought about sending the faulty stick in while keeping the good one. I'm hoping it's just one stick, because i want to be able to USE star wars battlefront when it comes (should arrive sometime between friday and monday)

running on my good stick of 256 now, works fine. I'll try putting the other stick into a different slot on the mobo, maybe that will help. I didn't detect any errors the second time with it.. odd
rock.gif

Back