"Gotta Pay the Bills," 2008 Edition

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
As stated in our Support the Christian Gamers Alliance thread, the CGA incurs approximately $475 in expenses per year. That includes dedicated server hosting, domain name renewal, and vBulletin license renewal.

Our dedicated server hosting bill will be due April 1, with other bills due before then. I plan to look over CGA's financial accounts and post more details soon.

Having spent several years in churches in the Midwest US, I have come to deplore the "rattling of the tin cup." I won't tell you that your donation will be returned to you "30, 60, or 100-fold" because I have no idea how or if God will bless you financially for donating to our ministry. That's up to Him, not me.

If you believe in the mission of the Christian Gamers Alliance and think we have a pretty good thing going on here, then I ask that you consider donating a small amount to help us keep the lights on.

With as many active members as we have on our forums, it shouldn't be difficult to raise just $472 and change if people chip in $5 or $10 here and there.

On a related note: If you attend a local church, please tithe to that church before donating funds to the Christian Gamers Alliance. Local churches have far bigger bills than we do.

As President of the CGA, I don't consider the organization a church, but instead a ministry. If you want to call your donation anything other than a "donation," I suppose you could call it an "offering."

And, of course, if you're in a position where you can't afford to donate money, don't feel guilty about it. There's plenty of other ways to help out, including volunteering for staff positions.

Thanks for reading through this once-a-year message. :D

EDIT: Reader's Digest version: We need to raise about $475 before April 1 to keep the site online. It shouldn't be hard to do.

I have a idea to help: i am getting a Server worthy Cable network and high end rig, and i would love to run any server of yours that your currently paying for, and i would charge nothing for it:D

P.S. i would donate money but my mom will not allow it.

We require more storage space and processing power than most home-grown servers would be able to handle. More importantly, we require much more bandwidth than the average consumer has on their cable or DSL service plans.

And remember that our dedicated server not only hosts the forums and web site, but also a TeamSpeak server. We also have room for expansion in the future if we want to run other types of servers (though not game servers; a box that could run game servers would be more expensive).

We require more storage space and processing power than most home-grown servers would be able to handle. More importantly, we require much more bandwidth than the average consumer has on their cable or DSL service plans.

And remember that our dedicated server not only hosts the forums and web site, but also a TeamSpeak server. We also have room for expansion in the future if we want to run other types of servers (though not game servers; a box that could run game servers would be more expensive).

Sorry, i think you understood me wrong (i could have worded it differently too) but i was offering to run a GAME server, not the whole site and everything...just one game server like CS, GW, anything that you want.

Sorry, i think you understood me wrong (i could have worded it differently too) but i was offering to run a GAME server, not the whole site and everything...just one game server like CS, GW, anything that you want.
Ah, okay.

At this time, CGA does not run (or plan to run) any game servers.

If there is demand and funding for game servers in the future, we may consider it then.

For now, the CGA leaves the game servers to affiliates like God's Frozen Chosen and Tribe of Judah.

Ah, okay.

At this time, CGA does not run (or plan to run) any game servers.

If there is demand and funding for game servers in the future, we may consider it then.

For now, the CGA leaves the game servers to affiliates like God's Frozen Chosen and Tribe of Judah.

Oh ok, thats cool:cool:

It works, in some cases it can be better then renting one.
it's not a matter of if it works better, but rather hosting a server on a residential connection is a violation of the Terms of Service one agreed to when one signed up for service. If you run a server on a residential connection, you risk losing said connection, or having your price jacked up to the business prices.

it's not a matter of if it works better, but rather hosting a server on a residential connection is a violation of the Terms of Service one agreed to when one signed up for service. If you run a server on a residential connection, you risk losing said connection, or having your price jacked up to the business prices.

In most cases it doesn't work well.

My VPS regularly downloads patches at ~5MB/sec The most my home connection has ever done downloading is 1MB/sec, the upload is MUCH lower (~50KB/sec). A hosted server has a HUGE amount of bandwidth (especially in the upload - where it counts) compared to a home connection.

Back