Got my new geforce 4 ti 4200

SSquared

Well, the last 3 weeks, I have seen advertisements for the GeForce 4 Ti 4200 at some great prices. You've seen me ask about them in the threads here. When I go to the store, they are already sold out. When I saw CompUSA was doing it again this week, I went and picked one up the day the ad came out. They've got the Asylum 64MB card for $80 after rebate. As a side note, Best Buy has the 128MB with 8x AGP for $109.99 after rebates.

So I installed it tonight. It's working great. I can't believe how incredibly smooth Freelancer is now. And I can play in 32-bit now. Yeah. The explosions, mines, lasers, all look so much better and cleaner.

Anyway, I have three questions. The NVidia control panel has a setting to "Enable fog table emulation". By default this was turned on, so I turned it off. Well, it really screwed up Freelancer. Maps that have clouds and a fog were, well, horrible. I couldn't see a thing in front of me. I updated to the latest Detonator's and I still had the problem. So I turned this setting back on and now everything works (I get fog and cloud/smoke). My concern is, I don't like the word emulation. Am I missing some fog stuff on the card? Does this mean fog will be done by the CPU? I don't remember having this set with my previous card (a 2MX).

The next question is in regards to the fan. The card sits right on top of a PCI card and the fan is facing down on the PCI card. There is almost no breathing room. Is that OK? Will the fan be able to properly do its job? Do you need a picture to understand what I'm saying?

And finally, for any of you Ti 4200 owners, what settings do you use for the card? AA, anisotropic filtering, etc. Do you have certain settings for each game? Do you keep the setting the same?

At this point, I don't really have too many recent games that can even take advantage of the card. I went through Jedi Outcast, Dungeon Siege, and Freelancer which are the only games I have from the past year. And unfortunately, Outcast and DS are very CPU intensive. I really bought the card in preparation for the new games coming out this year, most especially Knights of the Old Republic.

Sorry this message ended up being so long.

Back