GFC Proverbs Chapter a day Challenge (December)

It takes wisdom to have a good family, and it takes understanding to make it strong. It takes knowledge to fill a home with rare and beautiful treasures. Proverbs 24:3-4 (NCV)

The New Century calls the house the family. I like that.

Finish your outdoor work and get your fields ready; after that, build your house.

Proverbs 24:27

Proverbs 24:10-11 said:
10. If you falter in times of trouble, how small is your strength!

11. Rescue those being led away to death; hold back those staggering toward slaughter.

Both of these verses deal with strength. First on a personal level, then on a spiritual one. Have you worked out your muscles today?

These are more proverbs of Solomon, copied by the men of Hezekiah king of Judah: Proverbs 25:1 (NIV)

It struck me that 200 years after his death people were still writing down the bits of wisdom attributed to Solomon - particularly because of who Hezekiah was:

Hezekiah trusted in the Lord, the God of Israel. There was no one like him among all the kings of Judah, either before him or after him. 2 Kings 18:5 (NIV)

It was during the reign of Hezekiah that Isaiah prophesied:

For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Isaiah 9:6 (NIV)

I guess that little intro-verse reminded me of Christmas.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Last edited:
Proverbs 25:13 As the cold of snow in the time of harvest, so is a faithful messenger to them that send him: for he refresheth the soul of his masters.

Proverbs 25:25 As cold waters to a thirsty soul, so is good news from a far country.

Luke 2:9-14
And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid. And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger. And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying, Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.

Proverbs 25:2 said:
2. It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings.

Think about it... There are things in this world we still don;t understand, even with all our technology and all our learned people. God has concealed some things from us and it should be us giving Him glory for doing so.

Most people who want to explain somethign want to do it for their own glory...

Like a fluttering sparrow or a darting swallow, an undeserved curse will not land on its intended victim. Proverbs 26:2 (NLT)

...so don't fret about what others say if it is undeserved.

Proverbs 26:6 He that sendeth a message by the hand of a fool cutteth off the feet, and drinketh damage.

If you have good reason to doubt someone's integrity, then be careful about what you entrust to them. You won't be able to claim innocence from the harm their lack of character does to you or your cause if good judgement would have dictated you not deal with or through them in the first place.

Proverbs 26:4-5 said:
4. Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you will be like him yourself.

5. Answer a fool according to his folly, or he will be wise in his own eyes.

Two verses that seem, to mean total opposite things. First you tell me NOT to answer a fool then you tell me TO answer a fool...

Well, The Message puts it a more succinct manner

Proverbs 26: 4-5 The Message said:
Don't respond to the stupidity of a fool; you'll only look foolish yourself.

Answer a fool in simple terms so he doesn't get a swelled head.

The biggest thing to learn here is to think before you speak. If you are dealing with someone who is a fool, don't answer them. You will fuel their ego as well as make yourself look foolish. However if you must deal with someone who is foolish, speak in simple terms they will understand, almost as though you are talking to a child.

Proverbs 27:8 As a bird that wandereth from her nest, so is a man that wandereth from his place.

We all have a place the Lord desires us to keep, and He always has a good reason for His placement. What happens if a bird wanders from her nest? She may get injured or killed herself, but the greater consequence is to the young ones in the nest who depend on her. Maybe the nest isn't the most attractive of places to be at the time, but we won't be as fit for service to God if we're out of the place He desires us so we need to learn to be content in all circumstances, not just the appealing ones, and remember that we have to prove ourselves faithful with a little before we will be trusted with more.

Don't brashly announce what you're going to do tomorrow; you don't know the first thing about tomorrow. Proverbs 27:1 (MSG)

I love the way the Message puts the verse.

If you refuse to obey what you have been taught, your prayers will not be heard. Proverbs 28:9 (NCV)

We pray for direction - "what should I do?" - and we are not even doing what we know we should do.

28:26 He that trusteth in his own heart is a fool: but whoso walketh wisely, he shall be delivered.

The next step after getting wisdom is practicing the discipline to act on it faithfully in everything in our life, regardless of what our personal feelings tell us at any given time. Remember God's understanding will always be far greater than our own.

He who conceals his sins does not prosper, but whoever confesses and renounces them finds mercy. Pro 28:13 (NIV)

Proverbs 28:2 From The Message said:
2. When the country is in chaos, everybody has a plan to fix it - But it takes a leader of real understanding to straighten things out.

Sounds a lot like our country eh? We just lack the Leader...

If people can't see what God is doing, they stumble all over themselves; But when they attend to what he reveals, they are most blessed. Proverbs 29:18 (MSG)

The Message gives the gist of the verse very well.

Back