GFC Proverbs Challenge (November)

Proverbs 15:30 said:
30. A cheerful look brings joy to the heart, and good news gives health to the bones.

A cheerful look. Just being happy and looking at someone can make their day. Think about it, when you are in a good mood you head out and you see someone else walking down the street who doesn't look very happy, so you give them a smile, normally it pulls a smirk or smile to their own face. :) I think it has something to do with sharing the joy of the Lord with others. If you are overflowing with joy in the Lord it can't help but spill over onto others!

Chapter 16 has so many good verses.

We may throw the dice, but the Lord determines how they fall. Proverbs 16:33 (NLT)

Isn't that the truth!

Proverbs 16:3 said:
3. Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and your plans will succeed.

All too often I try to do things in my own strength and don't give my plans to the Lord before I act. It often leads to heartache...

Proverbs 16:9 Whoever conceals an offense promotes love, but whoever gossips about it separates friends.

Sometimes it is better to keep my mouth shut, especially when discussing the offense will not bring productive change. Discernment needs to be used to make sure that correction we are giving is done so properly

(This chapter really hit me this time. I could have chosen any number of verses)

Have a great day
Gen

Again, there were several verses especially good today. I chose:

Sensible people keep their eyes glued on wisdom, but a fool’s eyes wander to the ends of the earth. Proverbs 17:24 (NLT)

Proverbs 18:10 The name of the LORD is a strong tower; the righteous run to it and are protected.

Oh Lord, my God, you are my refuge in all storms and my strength when I am weak....

unless Talon is in the top of the tower with a Scout (sorry, I couldn't help it, I thought of Talon's map when I read this in addition to what God's word tells me about me)

A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother. Proverbs 18:24 (NIV)

The old adage is true: "With friends like that, who needs enemies."

It amazes me how many people have so called "friends" who are not looking out for their best interests, often at the expense of a true friend - the kind that is closer than blood.

Be careful who your "friends" are.

Proverbs 17:1 said:
1. Better a dry crust with peace and quiet than a house full of feasting, with strife.

Hold your tongue, especially if you know it will push someones buttons...

Proverbs 18: 2 said:
2.A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

How often do we find ourselves formulating a reply to something someone said instead of finishing listening to them before we reply? How often do we "air" our own opinions without regard to others?

Proverbs 19:2 said:
2. It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way.

All the best intentions of the world will come to ruin unless you plan and take the time to prepare.

People ruin their lives by their own foolishness and then are angry at the Lord. Proverbs 19:3 (NLT)

I see this all the time - all the time.

Differing weights and differing measures-- the Lord detests them both. Proverbs 20:10 (NIV)

It's not about buying a pound of meat and having it weighed properly - it's about using different weights and measures when we consider people. The New Living puts it well:

False weights and unequal measures— the Lord detests double standards of every kind. Proverbs 20:10 (NLT)

Whoever tries to live right and be loyal finds life, success, and honor. Proverbs 21:21 (NCV)

Who doesn't want life, success and honor? Well, this is how you find them.

Proverbs 22:20-21 Have not I written to thee excellent things in counsels and knowledge, That I might make thee know the certainty of the words of truth; that thou mightest answer the words of truth to them that send unto thee?

The acquisition of wisdom is not supposed to be only for our benefit, but to share with anyone who asks of us. God's glory is magnified not by us living good earthly lives on our own, but by us showing His sovereignity and loving care for us through our lives in such a way that others want to come to know Him too.

Do not make friends with a hot-tempered man, do not associate with one easily angered. Proverbs 22:24 (NIV)

Heartache - nothing but heartache if you do.

Proverbs 22:15 said:
15. Folly is bound up in the heart of a child, but the rod of discipline will drive it far from him.

Parents, don't be afraid of disciplining your children! Its one of the only ways to turn around their way of thinking! I was disciplined as a child and I think I turned out ok. :D

Kind of a sad brooding chapter today.

Do not let your heart envy sinners, but always be zealous for the fear of the Lord. Proverbs 23:17 (NIV)

Important advice - a trap we all fall into from time to time.

Proverbs 23:20-21 Be not among winebibbers; among riotous eaters of flesh: For the drunkard and the glutton shall come to poverty: and drowsiness shall clothe a man with rags.

Modern culture likes to promote the idea of a feasting lifestyle as being indicative of success and well-being in this age. Even if you don't go so far as to be included among the winebibbers, it is still easy enough to fall into the trap of expecting every meal to be an all-you-can-eat buffet of nothing but tasty gourmet delicacies if you have achieved the economic standing to be able to afford it. But even if you can pay the monetary cost, there are many other real costs to consider. You can jeapordize your health, capability, or lifespan potential by not being careful about your consumption. You can lose kingdom-building opportunities by consuming resources that could have been better invested in areas of ministry. You can hinder your wife's spiritual growth or miss out on some of the great things marriage has to offer if you have her (or if you are a wife, if you take this on yourself) devoting most of her time, energy and creativity to mealtime issues over and above more important and lasting things. It is a good thing to be able to enjoy every blessing of God with joyfulness and thanksgiving, but we also need to keep in mind there are often multiple ways blessings can be used, some of more benefit than others, and life really is more than just meat after all.

Last edited:
Back