Friday, May 21, 2010

Abba San

Legacy of Elijah [LoE] - Proud Grandfather
Do not be overrighteous, neither be overwise-- why destroy yourself? Ecclesiastes 7:16 (NIV)

Now there is a verse to chew on. When you get into the Hebrew it makes more sense than in the English.

I'm curious to see if someone looks at today's verse and has a comment.

I'm trying to process how the language difference could change the implications, but seeing that I don't know Hebrew and don't have my study Bible with me at work, I honestly can't say that I'm coming up with anything.

I assume the base statement is that we should keep our egos in check and remember that it's by God's Grace that we have gotten where we are now. The sub-statement is that if we lose sight, we'll quickly fall back on the road to ruin - trying to rely on our own strengths instead of Christ.

Did I get anywhere close? Go easy, I'm a bit sleep deprived at the moment :)

Absolutely, Durruck - very close, indeed. Good job.

I have some notes on this verse - it came up in our Bible study on Monday. I'll post them when I get to the office later today.

Durruck - here is some of the background on understanding this verse:

In the Hebrew text, the verbs in verse 16 carry the idea of reflexive action. Solomon said to the people, "Don't claim to be righteous and don't claim to be wise." In other words, he was warning them against self-righteousness and the pride that comes when we think we have "arrived" and know it all. Solomon made it clear in verse 20 that there are no righteous people, so he cannot be referring to true righteousness. He was condemning the self-righteousness of the hypocrite and the false wisdom of the proud, and he warned that these sins led to destruction and death.

Bible Exposition Commentary - Old Testament - The Bible Exposition Commentary – Wisdom and Poetry.

I like this understanding - "Don't claim to be..." - none of us have "arrived" and know it all. Some commentators even suggest it be understood as "don't play at being" righteous or wise. There are consequences:

Moreover, the meaning of the verb tiššômēn (from šāmēm) must be correctly interpreted. Though almost universally interpreted in the sense of “to destroy or ruin oneself,” the verb in this form never means this elsewhere. Instead it means “to be appalled or astounded” (cf. Dan. 8:27, “appalled”; Ps. 143:4, “dismayed”). This fits in nicely with Solomon’s argument here. He urged his readers not to be overrighteous or overwise “lest they be confounded or astonished.” He meant they should not depend on their righteousness or wisdom to guarantee God’s blessing because they might be confounded, dismayed, or disappointed like the righteous people whom Solomon had seen perishing in spite of their righteousness (Ecc. 7:15).

The Bible Knowledge Commentary: An Exposition of the Scriptures by Dallas Seminary Faculty.

It is not so much that you will be destroyed - as you will be astounded - dismayed - or maybe even found out and put in your place.

Some people think that if you are wise and follow the rules everything will work out - life is an equation we need to work out - but that is not what Solomon is saying:

The simple equation that links prosperity and long life to religious zeal and wisdom, while associating suffering and an early death with sin, is only a generalization. There are many exceptions. Those who with pathological devotion embrace the precepts of religion and wisdom (the two are conceived together here) will be disappointed. Like Job’s three friends, such people are convinced that the question of how a human is to relate to God and the world is easily answered: If you obey all the rules, you will be safe. The practical result of such a philosophy is asceticism (self-denial in spiritual discipline). For the Teacher such asceticism is futile (in that it is bound to fail), arrogant (in that it stems from a smug certainty about one’s own righteousness), and miserable (in that ascetics have cut themselves off from the normal joys of life). The Teacher anticipates Paul’s understanding of grace and the law (cf. Rom 7–8).

The warning not to be “overrighteous” or “overwise” is not an exhortation to do a little sinning. The Teacher is not dealing here with the issue of personal sins as such. Rather, he is concerned with a philosophy of life that seeks the benefits of long life, prosperity, and personal happiness through the strict observation of religious and wisdom principles. A modern way to put it would be, “Do not be a fanatic.”

Also, as Crenshaw observes, v. 17 does not counsel that sin in moderation is acceptable. Rather, it implies that while some sin in everyone’s life is inevitable, those who embrace evil as a way of life are destroyed by it.

New American Commentary - New American Commentary – Volume 14: Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Songs.

I generally agree with the writer of The Remarkable Wisdom of Solomon, that Solomon is talking about self-righteousness and self-pride:

Note especially verse 20, which concludes that "there is not a just man upon earth, that doeth good, and sinneth not." Solomon thus would have to recognize that no one could deserve salvation, in this life or in a future life, because God had said "Cursed be he that confirmeth not all the words of this law to do them" (Deut. 27:26).

When he says, however, "Be not righteous over much: neither make thyself over wise" (verse 16), he is not warning against true righteousness, but against self-righteousness or ostentatiousness in one's goodness. Neither is he warning against true wisdom, but against self-pride in one's intellectual achievements. He also warns against being "over much wicked" (verse 17), for this could well lead to premature death, "before thy time." God has apparently appointed an optimum life span for each person .

The Remarkable Wisdom of Solomon: Ancient Insights from the Song of Solomon, Proverbs, and Ecclesiastes.

This is a weird section of scripture that really needs to be studied to apply it to your life. Thanks for raising the questions. I hope these notes help.

Last edited:
Back