For My Mother, Please

Niniel

She was diagnosed with leukemia on Tuesday, after basically having one continuous migraine for the past three weeks. The doctors should have the result of a bone marrow biopsy tomorrow, to see exactly what kind she has and which treatment option is needed (chemo, radiation, or both). Though I think they already know it is Lymphatic Lymphoma(?) but they need the results to know if it's Chronic or not.

Thank you guys, so much.

She's being transferred to Atlanta tomorrow, which is two hours from here....... The cancer has spread to her brain. So her current doctor is sending her to another doctor in Atlanta, who the local-doctor said she would send her own family members to, if they were in my mom's position.

So, my dad and I are going up there as well; I probably won't be posting again until Sunday, when we come home so my dad can go to work.

May His will be done. That's really all I can say in the face of this. :(

Will pray when I remember.

I'm so sorry to hear this. I don't really know the feeling in the situation. I just want to say that I will be praying for the best. *hugs*

My mom is doing well (I mean, relatively speaking :) ). The nurses at the hospital are really nice, and the clinical psychologist is a real funny lady.

Let's see....they started a steroid, for the brain tumor (which, by the way, the doctors are confident will not have to operated on). It's at the back of her head, pushing against her cerebellum and making her feel dizzy and unsteady; those symptoms have gone away almost completely.

Last I heard, last night, they're pumping her full of fluids and just waiting for her urine pH to stay at the right level and then they can give a dose of chemo, because the kidneys can become overwhelmed with dead cancer cells and the toxins they release.

Her cancer doctor says that after this shot of chemo, he'll wait two weeks and take another scan of the brain tumor. If it's responded and shrunk, she might be transferred back closer to home (fifteen minutes away instead two hours). But that also depends on what the local doctor is comfortable with.

I'm cleaning the house right now, since my dad's parents are coming down next week; my grandma will stay with my mom at the hospital.

I got my blood drawn a couple days ago, to see if I could be a bone marrow/stem cell donor (I don't remember which, probably depends on what the doctors think would be best), which would be the only way to beat the cancer finally. The cancer needs to be in remission before that happens, but information and plans are good. Still haven't heard anything about the results, though.

My mom also has a brother, who would be the best match, sharing all the same genetic stuff instead of me who is only a half-match. But...they apparently had a huge fight and have had zero contact for about 20 years. :( My dad's trying to track him down.

On the positive news front, the brain tumor has significantly decreased in size, so the Atlanta doctors will start talking with the local doctor next week about transferring her back closer to home.

Good news #1: My mom's home now. She was released yesterday, and we spent the night in a hotel (because it was already 5 PM).
Good news #2: The local cancer doctor will be taking over her treatment, so no more trips to Atlanta (for right now). I think the plan is 10 days at home, 4 days at the hospital for each chemo round. She has an appointment on Tuesday, so the details will be ironed out then, I guess.

Praise God. :)

She had her third round of chemo this week and got back from the hospital today. The past two she didn't have any symptoms, but this time she had some slight nausea; the doctor said symptoms would probably get worse as the treatment progresses, because of the toxins released by dead cancer cells. Other than that, not much to report. Thank you for all the prayers.

Please dear God make the chemo worth any side effects, thank you, in Christ's name Amen.

She came home from another round of treatment this morning. This was her fourth, and I'm pretty sure the doctor has said the total number would eight; I don't know what's after that. She did vomit once, but she thinks that was because of a migraine. She's also started losing her hair (but isn't bothered much by it).

Back