Fellow Geeks - Windows 8 Preview?

Apollux

Hello,

Have any of you installed the Windows 8 Consumer Preview? I'm considering doing so in a dual-boot configuration.

Relating of any of your experiences would be most welcome.

Thanks!!

I tried it up here at work.

My initial response: "Meh."

My later response: "Why on earth would I pay money for Windows 8 to install on a desktop PC or laptop if Windows 7 works just fine?"

It looks like Windows 8 is designed primarily for tablet PCs. But if I were to buy a tablet PC, I'd probably favor Android over Windows 8.

Thanks Tek7,

I have an Android Tablet (Motorola XOOM 4G) now and am very happy with it. I also agree that Microsoft has gone very phone/tablet with the new Windows 8 "Metro" interface. That being said, long term if I can run Microsoft Office and Exchange/Outlook native on a tablet (Windows, Android and even "sigh" iOS) that will be the tablet I buy to replace my work laptop. I'm hoping that Windows 8 gives me that flexibility.

I'm backing up my Win 7 64Bit install now, will resize my "C" drive partition and most likely install Win 8 onto the new partition in order to dual-boot. I'm curious on the new interface.

I tried it up here at work.

My initial response: "Meh."

My later response: "Why on earth would I pay money for Windows 8 to install on a desktop PC or laptop if Windows 7 works just fine?"

It looks like Windows 8 is designed primarily for tablet PCs. But if I were to buy a tablet PC, I'd probably favor Android over Windows 8.

Shhh Tek don't you know newer is better? 8 is more than 7 so it has to be better.

Windows versions are starting to follow the Star Trek movie trend: Only ever other one is good.

Except Windows ME came out before Windows 2000, so that doesn't quite hold up. But XP -> Vista -> 7 -> 8 certainly seems to follow the pattern.

No product that has new versions released on a regular basis can constantly have worthwhile improvements. It doesn't matter how much money or how many people work on it people still have limits which is never going to change (/see Christianity). Acting like new innovations or more often the ability to implement them can be summoned at will, every time, on time, is dumb. Of course industry has found a way to get around this by re-packaging products, rearranging cosmetic pieces and adding/subtracting worthless features to make it products look new.

Random thought 1: I wonder when Moore's law will plateau.

Random thought 2: I hope one of these "new" cosmetic rearranging phases will produce cars that start to look decent again. I pretty much hate all modern car designs with the possible exception of the Mustang.

Last edited:
Thanks,

But this thread is getting wildly off-topic. If you're not interested in the Windows 8 Consumer 8 Preview, please refrain from posting.

Last edited:
Thanks,

But this post is getting wildly off-topic. If you're not interested in the Windows 8 Consumer 8 Preview, please refrain from posting.

I'm interested. Installed the earlier beta on VM Workstation. I'm assuming this is a newer version? If so, I'll download it tonight.

Win 8 is a PC operating system for tablets and smart phones. It overly complicated and overly simplified at the same time. It's Microsoft's attempt to get into the portable device market before they have a working product. It will fail the same way Vista did (even tho I like Vista way more than XP).

If you're going to post that your from the NW suburbs, please be more friendly. You give the rest of us from there a bad name. Typed words come out a whole lot different than spoken.

Everybody is friendly. Hugs for everyone. Ok we done :p.

...And in the spirit of friendly, legitimate, on topic, interest what can Windows 8 do for me? I've heard about the tablet, iphone, touchness of it all but I use no peripherals whatsoever. It's just me and a standard computer setup. What features does it have for me? Is it faster, use less memory or exclusively have the next direct x version?

Looking at page now.

Last edited:
UPDATE:
I downloaded the Win 8 Consumer Preview .ISO yesterday, "burned" it to a USB stick, and installed it to a new partition on my hard drive today. It's up and running in dual-boot mode along with my Win 7 64-bit install. Seamless to install but I haven't had much time to play with it yet.

Last edited:
It takes some getting used to for sure. I have given it about a week now and I have put it on another computer of ours. I am finding it much easier to navigate and I am starting to really like the metro UI. Getting a little frustrated with the new IE thats launched from metro....I find myself going to the desktop and using it there.

Getting a little frustrated with the new IE thats launched from metro....I find myself going to the desktop and using it there.
^^ This.

I'm typing this now on IE 10 Desktop mode in Win 8. And in other news, WoW loaded in Win 8 as well. Haven't played with it though beyond that.

I am a bit behind the times on this OS. As an MCSE and universial MSDN account, I beta tested all OSes since Windows for Workgroups. My job hasn't afforded me the opportunity to "play" in a number of years. Good news is, I have a new laptop heading my way with the expressed interest to virtualize and get back in touch with my inner tech - including getting some Windows 8 love in.

Good news is, I have a new laptop heading my way with the expressed interest to virtualize and get back in touch with my inner tech - including getting some Windows 8 love in.
There's a good chance that it won't be "love" so much as "Listen, you're nice and I like you as a friend, but I don't like like you...and, also, I'm more interested in your older sister." (The older sister being Windows 7.)

...This thread suddenly got weird.

There's a good chance that it won't be "love" so much as "Listen, you're nice and I like you as a friend, but I don't like like you...and, also, I'm more interested in your older sister."

Well... the truth comes in interesting packages... Tek sounds like he may have had experience with this one before folks.

lol I'm just messing with you Tek.

Back