Fav community maps

Shagz

I thought I'd start a thread about what the plethora of amazing community maps that are available out there, see which ones people like the most.

(I'm at work now, I'll post my list later tonight ;) )

DM-Campgrounds2k4-G1E (I think that's the name): This one has been going around the serious DM servers recently, especially Figment's Mojo Server. It's a remake of a QIIIA map, DM17 I think.

DM-CBP2-Meitak: The best CBP2 map, hands down.

DM-Goose2k4: A good, large-size DM map that is instantly likeable, but holds a lot of depth.

I'll have to play through the 4+ gigs of UT2004 maps on my computer and get back to you on this one.
biggrin.gif

re: DM-CBP2-Meitak...yea, this one is tight. The looks are on point, but the best part about it is the ambient sound. As you walk around, certain paths on the walkways will trigger different audio cues of metal creaking and such. If you memorize the map, you can sorta figure out where your opponent is by "listening" for them moving around the map.

re:DM-CBP2-Reconstruct...this is the one with the "invisible" bridges, right? Yea, fantastic idea! I practically jumped out of my skin the first time I tried dropping down to a lower level only to have some blue crystal go "crack-crack-crack!" and grow underneath my feet! Totally unexpected. Angel Mapper is a fantastic level designer, you should check out her CTF map, Phase Shift.

Haven't had time to post my own list, I'll come back later this week...

BTW, Kraniac, Campgrounds was DM6, The Longest Yard was DM17. And lo and behold, there's actually a DM17 UT2K4 remake
here. I haven't had a chance yet to try this remake out, but everybody's raving about it. The same author is also working on another remake of a classic, top notch community Q3 map called Blood Run.

eww... by looking around on her website... I found out that "she" was once a he! Or something... I don't know, I didn't care enough to keep looking around on there...

Yes, that is thoroughly disgusting. But, he... she... uh, they, makes good maps. So I can enjoy those, at least.

Hmmm, interesting. That's the first time I ever saw that on her site. I just came for the maps!
biggrin.gif

hmm... It kinda makes you wonder... How many other people are like him/her that make levels and stuff for games? You never can really tell unless they have a site like that. I agree though, he/she is a great mapper!

Well, yea, I guess you don't really know the people making these maps...but I'm sure we don't have an army of transgender UT2004 mappers on our hands.
smile.gif
Anyways, the proof is in the pudding: he/she makes great commercial quality work.

Finally, my own list o' maps, some of which I've raved about here in the past:

1-on-1
Incuvasion | Mapraider, Author's Site
:: Moody, Matrix w/ a little Doom and Aliens thrown in, and it's got some great jumps and y-axis fighting too.
Ilarnek | Mapraider
:: y-axis mayhem, pillar wall dodging and lift jump tricks galore w/ Q3-style pacing and textures.
Kenshin | Mapraider
:: great high tech looks, good for one on one or 3-4 player action, this also reminds me of some of the better moments in Q3
CBP2-Kadath
:: Tight, very small 1-on-1 mayhem. You gotta move fast if you want to avoid getting fragged before picking up a weapon! Some good y-axis moments (can you spot a trend?)

DM
CBP2-Koma
:: I love this map for just the atmosphere and textures alone; this one's more overtly inspired by the Matrix, but darn if it don't play pretty good too. More y-axis!
Deck2004 | Mapraider, Atari Community
:: Not just another Deck 17 map, this one speads up map by moving things a little closer but totally throws Deck experts for a loop by changing the weapon placement, adding some new pathways and shortcuts, draining the acid pool and giving it a new look and feel! Highly recommended.

I'll have to dig through my Assault and Onslaught maps next...

Hmmm...I liked it for the fresh look and the new paths. Because it looks so different and the weapon placement is tweaked, I don't know where I am in the "original" map anymore, you have to play it fresh.

PS - the finalists for best ONS map have been announced in the MSU contest. Some you may know, others you may not. Check this handy gallery for some eye candy and a preview of what's in there. I've played Dinora and Mothership, and of the two I prefer Dinora, but Mothership is EPIC in size. I haven't played either of them with humans though, that would be a better way to judge the gameplay.

lol, I know! we played mothership at a LAN recently, and it took forever!!! That map is HUGE!!! It's a really cool map though. Another cool map is Tokara underground or something like that, I played that map at a LAN too, it's also huge, but very cool looking.

Back