Eternity

Eternity is a single point(God) made up of an endless past/unending future where time does not exist.

Also Psalm 90:1-12 shows that eternity is one of God's attributes and Eskimo Pie's quote of the scripture of Jeremiah 1:5 also shows eternity as being one of His attributes as well.

Last edited:
Eternity is a single point(God) made up of an endless past/unending future where time does not exist.

If time does not exist, why use time references? (enless past/unending future, are references to time.)

Just throwing this out there:

Describe Eternity.

Infinite time.

Endless time.

Immeasureable time.

I think it's safe to say that eternity can work on both ends of the timeline, ie, past and present.

Although, in certain cases, it can be used to describe a fixed point in time.

If time does not exist, why use time references? (enless past/unending future, are references to time.)

All our time past and future that we are in converge towards eternity where God lives, a single place invisible where time does not exist.

Endless past/Eternity/unending future, its there at that convergence of endless past and unending future that eternity exists, a single point in between them invisible where time does not exist.

Last edited:
Eternal Life has no beginning and no end, for it is the Life of the uncreated God..
The Life is in the Son..
John 3:12-14
And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.
Jesus IS the Eternal Life :D
John 8:58
"I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!"
We recieve this Life by Faith in His Holy Name :cool:

John 17:3
Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.

1 Timothy 6:12
Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called when you made your good confession in the presence of many witnesses.
Eternity is His dwelling :)
2 Corinthians 5:1
Now we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands.
Heaven!
Luke 17:20-22
Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.
Where ALL Christian are right this moment!
For we have entered into the Eternal Life of the One who sits at the Right Hand of God in Heaven :D
Hebrews 12:4-9
4But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, 5Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved ;)
6And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:7That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.
8For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9Not of works, lest any man should boast.

I can't remember where I heard this from, but here goes.

Imagine a beach with a huge pile of sand at one end. A bird takes one grain of sand in its mouth and moves it to the other side. Once the pile is moved to the other side completely, that is the first second of eternity.

[toj.cc]phantom;180292 said:
I can't remember where I heard this from, but here goes.

Imagine a beach with a huge pile of sand at one end. A bird takes one grain of sand in its mouth and moves it to the other side. Once the pile is moved to the other side completely, that is the first second of eternity.

That's nice in a poetic sense, but that ultimately sounds too quantitative.

well, the point seems to be that the pile never ends... I'm not sure if the spacing will stay with the post... but here's a simple diagram:

...and so on. there are 4 grains of sand in my example, yet the bird's job of moving the pile is truly never complete.

well, the point seems to be that the pile never ends... I'm not sure if the spacing will stay with the post... but here's a simple diagram:

...and so on. there are 4 grains of sand in my example, yet the bird's job of moving the pile is truly never complete.

Not according to what he said, "Imagine a beach with a huge pile of sand at one end. A bird takes one grain of sand in its mouth and moves it to the other side. Once the pile is moved to the other side completely, that is the first second of eternity."

Not according to what he said, "Imagine a beach with a huge pile of sand at one end. A bird takes one grain of sand in its mouth and moves it to the other side. Once the pile is moved to the other side completely, that is the first second of eternity."

But then he moves the pile back again then again and again, and again, and again. The bird never stops.

[toj.cc]phantom;180764 said:
But then he moves the pile back again then again and again, and again, and again. The bird never stops.

"Imagine a beach with a huge pile of sand at one end. A bird takes one grain of sand in its mouth and moves it to the other side. Once the pile is moved to the other side completely, that is the first second of eternity."

The bird never stops because he starts over, the pile was moved COMPLETELY.

Complete means BROUGHT TO AN END, CONCLUDED

If we enter into eternity, this implies we have a starting point in eternity. This would mean we do not have an eternal past. Without an eternal past, can we say we truly entered into eternity?

I see two possible answers to this:

1. We are already in the eternal realm in some fashion
2. The concept of past, present and future are elements of time, not eternity.

Are there other answers? Or, you can choose to pick one of the above answers and discuss it.

If we enter into eternity, this implies we have a starting point in eternity. This would mean we do not have an eternal past. Without an eternal past, can we say we truly entered into eternity?

I see two possible answers to this:

1. We are already in the eternal realm in some fashion
2. The concept of past, present and future are elements of time, not eternity.

Are there other answers? Or, you can choose to pick one of the above answers and discuss it.

No, if we enter into eternity, if means we have entered into the Life of Christ Jesus..

Again, if we enter into the Life of Eternity, there is nooo beginning and nooo ending :)

Man, in his fallen state is created immortal, which means he has a beginning, but no ending..

God is the Eternal Life, which has noo beginning and noo ending..
Eternal Life is pertpetual..

Eternity:

-Is a duration which is perpetual
-Is properly concealed at the vanishing point of past or future
-Is heaven

-------

Eternal Life:

-Has no beginning and no end
-Is God's Life, given freely to man who accepts it as from God, through Jesus the Christ.
-Is Only given by the Son of God, through His Holy Spirit, to whomever God the Father should desire to give it.

-------
I will reference scripture verse as God moves me :)
Here's a few to start off with:
Acts 7:49 KJV
Heaven is my throne, and earth is my footstool: what house will ye build me? saith the Lord: or what is the place of my rest?

Ecclesiastes 3:11 NIV
11 He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end.

Luke 17:21 NIV
nor will people say, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is,' because the kingdom of God is within you."

micah 5:2 NIV
2 "But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah,
though you are small among the clans of Judah,
out of you will come for me
one who will be ruler over Israel,
whose origins are from of old,
from ancient times."

Isaiah 9:6 NIV
6 For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given,
and the government will be on his shoulders.
And he will be called
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

John 10:28 NIV
I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand.

Back