Enhancement Shaman

viglundr

Well my Shaman has been Resto/Elem for the longest time and I decided to switch him to Resto/Enhance a couple weeks ago. So far I have just spend time getting gear for him (grinding badges) and getting near the point of actually being able to try it out finally.

I looking at many sites regarding talents builds and have a build selected I think will work for me and just was wondering if any of our long time enhance shamans has any advice on builds as I can compare it to what I have so far.

Any advice about the rotation or anything else would be helpful as well.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Rhys, you not allowed to post about talent points until that stat box you have added to you sig shows you have some :)
Currently it says Level 80 Warrior - untalented.... :p

Last edited:
Sammey and Jermayan both seem to put up some nice Enhance DPS numbers. Have you looked at their builds?

I'm comfortable with my talents. I'll be taking 2pts out of Ancestral Knowledge and putting them in Imp Fire Nova.

Glyphs:
Glyph of Windfury Weapon
Glyph of Stormstrike
Glyph of Feral Spirit

Stats focus:
1. Melee hit cap (i think its 350ish for raids)
2. Expertise (26)
3. Spell hit cap (around 400?) Frankly, I have never worried too much about this one.
4. Melee Crit (around 30% min)
5. AP
6. Haste

We don't have a spell rotation. We have a priority list:
1. Wolfies
2. MW5 LB
3. SS
4. FS (if mob will last long enough)
5. ES
6. LL

Absolute best addon for enh shaman: ShockandAwe. It tracks the priority for you. Note the priortiy changed with the new Fire Nova, but i excluded it here.

Slow/slow weapons are a must.

Armor Pen doesnt do much for us.

Don't roll against me for gear! :D

<threadDerail>
I loved the movie Up!
"The joke is funny because the squirrel is dead."

Oh and Kirk is a noob...that is all.
</threadDerail>

To put an oar in, my enh shaman is by no means l33t. But I do know that in TBC, hit rating was less important for enh shamans than crit, as enh shamans are largely crit-powered and hit was pretty much impossible to cap for them anyhow. So, given that, I would opine that crit is more important for an enh shaman than getting spell hit capped. Melee hit cap is of course very important.

Actually John, I would disagree. I think that it important for Enhance shamans to cap SPELL hit, because the instant LB/CL from Maelstrom Weapon procs is a significant portion of your damage, not too mention Flame and Earth Shock. The extra hit rating is also not wasted on melee attacks, since the cap for DW melee white attacks is a whopping 27%.

Well I tried a little Enhancement in an heroic yesterday, Had some good tier 9 epics but nothing is enchanted or gemmed yet and filled in the gear with some greens but it went well, finished the instance at about 2K dps. Being a priority based system felt really comfortable (That’s how feral cats are too), just will take practice to make sure I’m watching the right cool downs and having it set up so I can see what I need to see easily.

For the other Enchantment shammies out there I also noticed I burn through my mana pretty quick, that’s something I need to manage better. Is shamanism used every time it’s off cool down? (To keep mana up?) Any extra advice on mana management is helpful :)

Haven't tried shock and awe yet as this may work just fine with my current setup but may try it anyway to check it out :)

Thanks for the feedback everyone, it has helped :)

Mana can be an issue in fast 5-mans. Two things really burn through mana: Magma totem and Fire Nova. Use them judiciously. I also tend to use water shield on trash to help keep mana up.

No need to save shamanism for boss fights, but do use it at the beginning of a pull so you get maximum effect.

currently Jermayan is well under hit cap, I've made some gear change/upgrades that dropped a bunch of hit. getting badges for the +128 hit trinket currently to rectify that situation. I didn't realize melee hit was that high (350). With talents and because we're shamans we have 7% built in for us as well. I see that Kirk is using the glyph of feral spirits which I looked at once, but I currently have the glyph for fire elemental. I quite enjoy a 5 min CD on that, I just need to make more use of it for myself (popping it on trash). As far as a rotation, I usually start a fight with SS and a FS and i try to pop the puppies 1 GCD before combat starts so I'm not "wasting" time during the fight.

Back