Dealing with 8v8

dorkelf

I've been monitoring discussions on GWOnline.net and it seems the momentum of discussions is strongly in favor of 8v8. Considering that HA is still set at 8v8 even after the 'temporary' weekend, I think it is probably going to become a permanent change. So we might as well figure out how to deal with it, assuming that we want to continue our quest to win the halls.

The thing most people on the 8v8 side of the team size argument were saying is that 8v8 allows for better team balance. In other words, with more slots you can put together your little spike sub-team and still have all the other 'bases' covered. I can concede that this is definitely an advantage when dealing with 8 experienced players doing what they know how to do. But for our guild 8v8 presents a couple of very serious problems:

1 - With 8v8 we're back to the days of often not having enough people to form a team. This forces us to recruit via alliance chat, or bring heroes, in order to reach 8 players. As a result we end up with a hodge podge of people with various levels of skill and limitations about what they can and can't play. The net result of this is that we're slow to form a team and then even slower to get the team oriented into a viable build. Last night, for instance, we spent far more time waiting for players to arrive and get set up than we did playing.

2 - With 8v8 coordination is just harder. You have more people doing more things, and it isn't always clear what is or isn't working properly. For that reason it becomes even more important to have experienced people into slots where they're doing what they know how to do. But as mentioned above, this is a difficult thing for us to do - we may have 8 serious, regular PvP players in our guild, but having them all show up on time for PvP is a rarity.

The one positive thing about 8v8 is that it will force us to develop skills that will be valuable in GvG. Essentially, HA is going to become much more like GvG, so doing both of these formats will become an easier transition for us to make.

If you have any thoughts about this please share them, particularly advice about how we should deal with this new playing environment and put together viable groups without spending too much setup and recruitment time. Also I'm thinking of posting a last-minute appeal for 6v6 on GWonline, so any comments you have and opinions in favor or against 8v8 will be appreciated.

Paul

calling from the alliance should be a good thing..isn't that what it's there for? heck start pulling form it more often..o know i would love to hop into this..i have a free slot i can use just for a pvp OR i can take my 18th level E/MNK and rejigger him a bit if needed..:)

calling from the alliance should be a good thing..isn't that what it's there for? heck start pulling form it more often..o know i would love to hop into this..i have a free slot i can use just for a pvp OR i can take my 18th level E/MNK and rejigger him a bit if needed..:)

Having new players involved in PvP is definitely a great thing HCS, but we need those new players to come prepared for PvP. It would be nice if anyone could just bring his/her favorite PvE character and skills for PvP, but unfortunately this doesn't work well and it prevents us from operating as a unified team. That's why we have to set new people up for PvP, but this process can take a very long time and 10:30 PM on PvP night just isn't the best time to start it. Unfortunately, whenever we spam alliance chat for team members or replacements for members who have dropped, that's exactly what we end up doing. That's the only reason I oppose that kind of recruitment, not because I don't want new people like you to participate.

If interested players can spend some time preparing for PvP beforehand, then sign up to come for PvP and show up early enough to get set up before PvP begins, that is best. It does takes some extra time and effort but it is worth it. I'm always happy to help with this process and I've created an orientation guide for new PvP players which I recently posted to this forum. I hope you'll take a look at it HCS and please let me know if there's anything I can do to help you get set up.

Paul

Last edited:
Also I'm thinking of posting a last-minute appeal for 6v6 on GWonline, so any comments you have and opinions in favor or against 8v8 will be appreciated.
I don't know, in some ways it seems that going to 8v8 is too much like GvG...having 6v6 made HA a distinct experience. Now, it's just a bunch of mini GvG battles, except they may not all be guildees...

Maybe we could have a team of all monks. We'd never die. We'd just annoy the other team with our invinciblity until they all resigned or logged out. It'll be the longest game in GW or at least SoE history.

lol i had a 30 min battle in random arenas once. My team had 3 people and the other team had 4 (one guy left before it started). We lost after 30 mins but oh well.

A couple times a long while ago people on MY team in Random Arenas started attacking me before the gates opened!! I don't know how they did it, I tried to fight back but couldn't o.0

today i went into random arenas and got 11 consecutive wins, we went into TA with 3 of that same group and got 6 consecutvie wins. it was awesome. I used same spirit spamming build that I used last night

Back