Critter Crunch

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
I used the $10 PSN card I bought for $5 and a $5 Reward Zone certificate at Best Buy to buy Critter Crunch last night. (I still have $3.01 left over.)

I really like the game. As I've said in previous posts, the gameplay is similar to Money Idol Exchanger, which was essentially a clone of Magical Drop.

I've cleared the first three areas in Adventure mode, including the Puzzle and Challenge stages.

I've played about 16 matches online now...and lost all but one.

I fancy myself a fairly competent puzzle game player and I can survive for a respectable amount of time...but I just can't seem to win very often. Maybe it's because less skilled players move away from new downloadable console games even more quickly than new PC games (Critter Crunch was released on PSN October 8, 2009), leaving only the most dedicated players that much sooner. (For proof of this "n00b dropoff" theory, load up Day of Defeat 1.3 today. If you're new to the game and unless you're just absurdly pro, you're going to get stomped. Repeatedly.)

Do any of you also own the game? (If you do, post a reply and I'll make sure to add you to my PSN Friends list if I haven't already.) Do any of you have any tips for Versus multiplayer?

I recorded and am currently encoding several gameplay videos, which I plan to then upload to my YouTube channel. I'll post the links once the videos are up and processed.

I have the game.

Only tip I have is l2p. /played three levels and got distracted by other games

I have the game.

Only tip I have is l2p. /played three levels and got distracted by other games
I think you have a more severe case of gaming ADD than I do.

If you ever want to play Versus or Co-op online, let me know. I recommend watching the tutorials first, though. All tutorials together take 5-10 minutes to watch and serve as a great crash course for online play.

What do you use to capture video? Would love to have some PS3 gameplay for my reviews.

What do you use to capture video?
I use WinTV-PVR-USB2 (hardware) and WinTV (software) to capture video. (For PC game video capture, I use FRAPS.)

Happauge replaced the PVR-USB2 with a newer model, but I bought the hardware for $10 from a friend. If you're looking for hardware capable of recording HD video (720p and higher), you'll have to spend considerably more.

For encoding and compression, I use VirtualDub, fcchandler's MPEG-2 VirtualDub plugin, and the x264vfw and AC-3 codecs.

I used this article as a guide and disabled B-frames to improve compatibility with YouTube. I use the same codec and settings for 480p videos as I use for 720p videos. (You can see one of my 720p videos here.)

I also use VirtualDub's Deinterlace filter for all console gameplay videos.

Sorry, no help here. Played a bit of this game (thank you PSN+!), but haven't played enough to be an expert yet.

I'd just say that pretty much any online game that involves any skill requires taking your licks when you first get on. Could try to google some advanced strategies, and start working on them to think on your feet.

I use WinTV-PVR-USB2 (hardware) and WinTV (software) to capture video. (For PC game video capture, I use FRAPS.)

Happauge replaced the PVR-USB2 with a newer model, but I bought the hardware for $10 from a friend. If you're looking for hardware capable of recording HD video (720p and higher), you'll have to spend considerably more.

For encoding and compression, I use VirtualDub, fcchandler's MPEG-2 VirtualDub plugin, and the x264vfw and AC-3 codecs.

I used this article as a guide and disabled B-frames to improve compatibility with YouTube. I use the same codec and settings for 480p videos as I use for 720p videos. (You can see one of my 720p videos here.)

I also use VirtualDub's Deinterlace filter for all console gameplay videos.

AKA too much work. :p

About how much would this run you though?

AKA too much work. :p
It's a fair amount of work to set up the first time, but it gets significantly easier after that.

About how much would this run you though?
It cost me $10, but I got my WinTV-PVR-USB2 used and from a friend.

I wouldn't know how much a current setup would cost, but based on my own experiences, I would recommend Hauppauge products to others.

EDIT: Hauppauge has listed the WinTV-HVR-1950 as the replacement for the WinTV-PVR-USB2. Looks it carries a $149.99 MSRP.

EDIT#2: Newegg sells it for $134.99.

EDIT#3: Of course, there are less expensive TV tuner cards that have RCA (yellow video, red and white audio) inputs you would need to record standard definition video.

Last edited:
Huzzah!

worldsgreatestdadcritte.jpg

I cleared Adventure Mode and have cleared 15/100 Puzzle Mode stages and 5/55 Challenge Mode stages.

/resurrect

HUZZAH!

I am pleased to announce that, as of 10:07 a.m. Central, I have earned ALL Critter Crunch trophies.

If any of you are ever interested in playing a Versus or Co-op match online, let me know!

EDIT: Screenshot for the archives:

Last edited:
Back