"Can you take it with you?" or "Portable jobs?"

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
No, I'm not talking about hearses with luggage racks. I'm asking about jobs.

What jobs are "portable"? Which jobs can you take with you when you move?

I've already thought of proofreading and medical transcription. Can anyone think of others?

Transcription in general would probably work, too -- not just medical.

*tries to remember Tek's skillsets*

doors salesmen? can u do technical writing at all? i dont really remember, i think u said u can but dont like doing it but theres always engineering firms im sure that need stuff

e-commerce
/nods sagely

What, specifically, do you mean by e-commerce, sir?

And thanks to all else who have posted suggestions.

Oh, and yes, I'm sure I could handle technical writing, but anything that dry is terribly dull. I'm not saying my fiction writing is the bee's knees, but asking me to write in the technical writing vein is like asking for an aspiring artist to create home-made graph paper.

/bump

I have a little over a month to find a job for when I live in Springfield. I've sent several e-mails to businesses, made several calls, and submitted several applications. I have yet to land a job.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

What jobs are "portable"? Which jobs can you take with you when you move?

/nods sagely

What, specifically, do you mean by e-commerce, sir?

An e-commerce company does not need a physical location, except to file legal docs. You can log in from anywhere in the world to admin it since it is web-based to keep the sales and shipping going. I have 3 friends and myself who are doing this, very profitable since they and I use drop shipping, no inventory. You simply process the orders and keep a percentage as it processes through your account. You can have an e-commerce up and running for about $50 (cost of the business license) and takes about 2 weeks (the time necessary for things to clear).

All this to say e-commerce is "portable".

not certain exavtly what you're looking for, but this came through me inbox via a frgal living email newsletter

irtual Customer Service Rep. There are several companies who hire home-based workers to take customer service calls. You probably don't realize it, but when you call a company's customer service, that person may be working from a spare bedroom in her home. One of these companies, Alpine Access, currently employs more than 7,500 work-at-home customer service agents around the country that take in-bound calls (no outbound or cold calling) for companies like J. Crew, Express Jet, 1-800-Flowers and the IRS. You can learn more and apply online at www.AlpineAccess.com. Another company, www.LiveOps.com offers the same type of opportunity; however, call agents operate as independent agents, developing and managing their own businesses. As a call agent with LiveOps you will be self-employed for tax purposes.
While the typical hourly rate for virtual consumer service reps is $9, agents can earn up to $20 with incentives and bonuses, depending on talk time and performance.
Mock Juror. There are websites that will pay you to sit on mock juries. You can earn fees ranging from $10 to $60 depending on how much time is required. Be sure to read all of the disclaimers and details before agreeing to sit on a focus group: www.ZapJury.com; www.Trialpractice.com; www.eJury.com; www.OnlineVerdict.com.
Survey Taker. If you have a little spare time and want to save up a stash of cash, there are trustworthy sites where you can get paid for taking surveys. Just remember this rule of thumb: Never respond to a site or opportunity that requires you to pay a fee up front to get started. Check out these sites: www.your2cents.com, www.npdor.com, www.surveysavvy.com, www.acop.com, www.viewpointforum.com, www.ePoll.com, www.greenfieldonline.com, www.mysurvey.com.

If you do do internet junk make sure to use a seperate email address for it as they make alot of their $$$ by selling your email address.

not certain exavtly what you're looking for, but this came through me inbox via a frgal living email newsletter
I had considered opportunities like the ones you posted, but I couldn't distinguish the scam sites from the legit sites and I didn't want to invest the time to differentiate between the two.

I'll check into some of the sites you posted, sir.

/bump

I'm midway into the second week in Springfield and still unemployed.

I worked an assignment yesterday and will work another today taking notes for a focus group, but after that, I don't have anything set up to pay the bills.

Any suggestions for "portable" jobs not already mentioned in this thread would be greatly appreciated.

Hmm, I own a business in SecondLife. I make about enough per day to go down the McDonalds and eat fairly comfortably, not exactly a bill payer :\

You could always write a book and submit it to a publisher. I know at least 20 people here would buy it :p

For the most part our economy is geared toward permanent jobs. The only thing I really know of as differently is freelance programming and consultation (even that tends to be a desk job "rented" out).

If you know how to run sound/multimedia you can often make money by providing equipment/services to groups for a small fee, but that isn't really that portable.

meh :\

Hmm, I own a business in SecondLife. I make about enough per day to go down the McDonalds and eat fairly comfortably, not exactly a bill payer :\
Aye, last I heard, major retailers are pulling out of Second Life.

Oo, the failure of real business in the virtual world. That sounds like a great spinoff thread...

You could always write a book and submit it to a publisher. I know at least 20 people here would buy it :p
The trouble with writing a book is that I'd be living in a cardboard box by the time I finished it.

Not only that, I need to write short stories first to get my name out there. I don't know of any publisher who would take a chance on an unknown author and publish his or her book.

The trouble with writing a short story is that I come up with new ideas all the time, but only spend enough time writing to jot down the summaries, themes, and other basic elements.

I do have a few (what I believe to be) excellent ideas for anime series, but, again, I haven't established any sort of credibility in the creative community yet.

If you know how to run sound/multimedia you can often make money by providing equipment/services to groups for a small fee, but that isn't really that portable.
I thought about that and may still contact some local hotels with executive meeting rooms to see if that's a possibility.

Thanks for trying. ^^ If it's any consolation, I've had a tough time coming up with ideas as well (thus my motivation for starting this thread).

Aye, last I heard, major retailers are pulling out of Second Life.

Oo, the failure of real business in the virtual world. That sounds like a great spinoff thread...

Some retailers are leaving yes, the "Big" ones for the most part wont because it is for the most part "passive" income in that you usually don't have to actively man venders. I make probably 5-10 dollars per day. For doing something I love doing it is a great little side income. It is really neat to see your name get out there and have people talking about you. I will stop there, someone can resurrect it if they feel like it.

The trouble with writing a book is that I'd be living in a cardboard box by the time I finished it.

Not only that, I need to write short stories first to get my name out there. I don't know of any publisher who would take a chance on an unknown author and publish his or her book.

The trouble with writing a short story is that I come up with new ideas all the time, but only spend enough time writing to jot down the summaries, themes, and other basic elements.

I do have a few (what I believe to be) excellent ideas for anime series, but, again, I haven't established any sort of credibility in the creative community yet.

I thought about that and may still contact some local hotels with executive meeting rooms to see if that's a possibility.

That is a major problem with creative arts, for the most part it either generates little income or you need a good portfolio. Without prior works or recognition you will probably be shown the door.

I debated writing short stories, I get good plots sometimes but I don't feel like sitting down and writing them. I guess it is because my ideas are pretty technical, I want to describe how instead of what. Instead I consider my programming my literature, well structured and flawless code leaves a nice feeling inside a programmer :)

Back