Bible Study Notes 23rd

CGamer

Gnome Priest
I. Introduction
I would like to tell you a story today about two thieves and one good man. Personally I enjoy a good story and I hope you will enjoy this story. Typically when we think about preaching, the preacher reads some Scripture and he goes from there, but today I want to tell you this story first and then we’ll read our Scripture. Actually its three separate stories that all tie together. The first part of our story begins with one thief…

II. The First Thief
There once was a man much like most of us, it you saw him on the street you might even say he was a nice looking gentleman, maybe a little poorly dressed but nonetheless an average guy. Looks can be deceiving though, this man survived on picking pockets, robbing rich travelers upon the road. A criminal if you may say so, however this man was not always a thief, he had a wife, children, a family but now all that was gone. It started out simple enough, one month he was behind on his rent, then a second and third month. It happened quite by accident one day a man bumped into him one day in the marketplace, and before he realized it the man wallet was laying on the ground. He reached down to pick it up and warn the other man. But wait something said, “Stop! You’re behind 3 months on your rent; why not use it for that, no one will ever know.”
Sure enough he kept the money and paid his back rent. No one ever knew except him. The next month’s rent rolled around and again no money, “What will I do? The man cried.”
He remembered how easy it was that day in the marketplace, how easy that man dropped his wallet. Why not try it again? So he went to the marketplace and bumped into a richly dressed man, “Oh Excuse me,” he said. Its okay was the reply. Little did the man know his wallet was gone. Wow that was easy, now I have the rent. Several months passed by and he continued to pickpocket the unwary, however one day during his visit to the marketplace, it didn’t go so well. He bumped a man grabbed his wallet but this time the man realized my wallet is gone. Stop! Guards!! Guards!! Thief!! The guards came the man was arrested thrown in jail, his trial was swift, the verdict, Guilty! the sentence Death!! Death!!
One man like us found guilty lacking, the trial swift and the verdict guilty, then death. A simple man, just a thief, but guilty all the same. Now there was a man in the cell with him a story similar…

III. The Second Thief
This man a thief the same but crimes so much worse. He had no family, no friends, he stole to survive. He robbed, stole, beat those in his way. He looked for jobs but none could be found. “Oh if I just had money my troubles would be through.” This man hardened by his life and circumstances chose to steal to survive. He closed himself off to the world, he took what he could asked for nothing, if need be he would fight to survive. One day he saw a sign “Workers Needed” So he came to the vineyard, workers were all there, he worked he sweated. He cried out this is worthless. One day the vineyard owner’s son came to collect what was his, but the man, said surely the son will have lots of money and no longer will I need to work here. So he picks up a rock and a stick, and he attacks the son, beating him, hitting him and finally the son is still, not moving. He reaches into the son’s coat for the wallet, he pulls it out. Oh now I’m rich, such luck for me, as he opens the wallet he sees not much money but only a single dollar. What! He screams all this for a dollar!! The guards rush up, Arrested, the trial swift, the verdict guilty, Sentenced to Death!! Death!! Death to a hardened criminal. A man deserving of his punishment. The two thieves both guilty both sentenced to death. /invite goblit

IV. The Third Man
This man so badly beaten, blood covered him. The two thieves say, Tell us your story, “Why are you here?” What have you done?
Slowly and with effort he begins to speak. I am here because I healed a man. He was lame and I healed him. There was another blind man, I caused him to see. Oh and there was my friend, he died and I raised him from death, there was a man who’s daughter had died and I raised her from the dead. I taught and I preached in the temple and it angered them. Finally one night after I finished praying in the garden the guards came to arrest me, they beat me an accused me. There was a trial swift, the verdict guilty, sentenced to death!!
Surely you jest said the second thief, you have done nothing worthy of death. The first thief laughed he’s lying trying to save himself. The first thief shook him, now tell us the truth, Why are You Here!! What Have You Done!! The Truth!! Stop!! Yelled the second thief, can’t you see he’s telling the truth. He’s done nothing worthy of death, he should be set free, but we deserve our punishment. I’ve heard of you they say you’re the One, the Christ.
Three Men different lives all sentenced to death, death for there crimes. All three men led to their crosses and crucified.

V. Scripture
Luke 23:39-43 says:
Luke 23:39 - 43 39And one of the malefactors which were hanged railed on him, saying, If thou be Christ, save thyself and us. 40But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation? 41And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss. 42And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom. 43And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.

VI. Conclusion
One man saved, the other lost both found guilty of their crimes. One realized I’m lost, I need help, Save Me! The other defiant to end, saying he’s a liar, look at Him. One man crucified between two thieves, guilty of only loving, healing and helping, one worthy to bear our sins. He gave Himself as sacrifice for all we need to do is Trust Him and Believe.
All of have at some point were sentenced found guilty, sentenced to die, maybe even some of you now are still waiting to face your sentence Death!!
Today however you can be pardoned from death, set free, to live in paradise. The choice is yours. Will you believe that Jesus can save you, or will you turn Him away as a liar, the choice is yours? What will your decision be? If you have a need, whether it is salvation, or a prayer offered up, come to this altar and speak with the one who can take care of it all.

Back