Beginner Tips

The Mighty Gerbil

Tribe of Judah TF 2 Chapter Leader & CGA Admin
Staff member
I don't have time to elaborate on the game right now but having spent the entire week playing (leveling to 30 as a tank and beating 3 dungeons multiple times) I have some beginner tips for you guys. All tips are based on the beta experience, on the Guardian side, and have a chance of changing just fyi.

1. Plan your class a tiny bit before playing but don't sweat picking the wrong souls if you do. All souls for each class can be unlocked by you at level 13~ however you must choose 3 and only 3 in the starting area. Basically if you don't like the souls you pick at start you are stuck with them until around level 13~, you reach Sanctum and do the soul quests.

2. Several of the soul trees have free passive buffs, Void Knight, Warlord, etc. simply by having that soul and ability equipped and activated, no spending points required. If you aren't spec'ing into one of your soul trees yet equip one of those and simply swap out souls/abilities if/when you need to.

3. Train your skills please. Every level up you may gain access to another level you can train your skills to at your class skill trainer. It makes them more effective and only costs a little money so be diligent about doing so.

4. After finishing the beginning area, closing the first rift and popping into the war area below the broken bridge you will shortly come upon a camp up a hill. In the camp you will have the option of learning three gathering professions. Although you can only learn 3 professions total take all three. The other crafting profession trainers are a little bit further away. Since it costs you nothing to unlearn a profession (although it does reset any skill gained in that profession) these are handy to have until you change professions as you can gather a little extra coin until then.

Also in that same starting area is a good place to up your foraging and mining to around 50+ very quickly as the foraging/mining spawn spots spawn the fastest and closest together I've found in the game. I came back when I was a bit higher lvl and it went even quicker as the mobs are nothing then. That whole area near the catapults and the small islands to past under the bridge can be farmed back and forth. Starting off you you can also use this for a tiny bit of extra money.

5. Mounts cost a bunch. The first mounts you'll run across are horses south of Argent Glade but there are also different types in Sanctum for the same price. I heard you can't get a horse until lvl 20 but this isn't true as I was using mine at level 18. Regardless I did not find or hear of any quest to earn a mount (and I did all my quests in Silverwood) so you are going to have to pay. Slow as the mount still is you will want one quick as the map is big, save wisely. Plus if you go for a rift or rift boss you'll want to reach it before other people finish it.

6. Massive rift invasions be a part of them always. Rifts are always occurring and you will skip many of them but occasionally you will get a rift invasion noted by rifts opening everywhere and a quest being given. Of these there are major ones and minor ones. I am assuming size is dictated by player populations. Everyone who participates in one gets something and every time I did anything to the final boss of a major invasion I got a Cursed Sourceshard (IDK if it holds for the smaller ones or not). These can be traded in each area Silverwood, Gloamwood, etc. at the rare planar trader for extremely good gear (you'll need a few regular planar too). Seriously from lvl 18 to lvl 27~ the purple rarity pair of warrior pants you can buy south of Argent Glade (next to the horse trader) will be better than any green. Note getting the Cursed Sourceshard seems to be tied to dps'ing or healing or doing anything involving the final boss of major invasions IDK if this holds for the minor ones though. Even if you have ineffectual lvl 8 dps it will count for some prize.

Note planar is a different currency than gold which is kept track of on your character screen/currency tab. It doesn't go in your bag.

7. Farm Fae (the first dungeon). I never bought a piece of armor (except the two planar pieces) and it saved me a bunch O money but I never had to be weak. The armor/weapon drops you can get from Fae, at (least as a warrior) are blues and better than vendor stuff. Really all the dungeons have bosses that drop decent stuff at decent intervals but Fae seemed a little more forthcoming with the good drops. Perhaps so players could get a good start IDK.

As I am not playing in the release I hope my experiences help. I may post more in a day or two but I've got to take a break now. Feel free to post your own.

Last edited:
I heard you can't get a horse until lvl 20
That used to be the case, but this was changed (i think it was in Beta 5) so that if you can get to the vendor and have the money you can buy a mount. no level requirement(for the 60% speed increase, the rest still have level reqs)

Also if you are like me and level higher than required in a given area consider running ahead to find the rare planar vendor in the next area so you buy the max level gear you can use.
note that the stones and shards are specific to each zone, stones from one zone can only be used to purchase gear from the planar vendors in that zone. this is to prevent people from grinding low level rifts for high level gear.

note that the stones and shards are specific to each zone, stones from one zone can only be used to purchase gear from the planar vendors in that zone. this is to prevent people from grinding low level rifts for high level gear.

I did not notice that so I edited my original post to remove that line TY. I just noticed the increasing amounts of sourceshards required so I thought they were the same type.

Back