Back from South Africa

Xymnas

Trieb of Judah Starcraft Series Chapter Co-leader
Hey everyone,
so I'm back from my trip to South Africa and I can say I had a blasty blast!

Sorry for the really long post but this trip couldn't be made into a smaller post...>.>

First off there was 3 Ladies and 5 Men who went on the trip. Our leader Jean who set up all of this; Amy and Robb who did most of the trainings and workshops; and the helpers/small group leaders were Ben, Addy, Todd, Jason, and myself. (I'll get pictures when I'm home and not at work)

Second off, I flew from San Francisco to London which was 10 hours of flying. Then from London to Cape Town, SA which was 16 hours of flying. I left Monday and go there Wednesday...So that was kinda lame! After we landed we got picked up and drove to Stellombosch in SA where we would be sleeping and staying. About a 15 minute drive from there is a township called Kayamundi where we did our trainings/workshops and worked in the community.

Thursday was our orientation day where we found out what we were doing down there and what not.

Friday, Saturday, and Sunday the "team/group" had a Purity First training/workshop thing for the young teens who lived in Kayamundi. There were about 40 teens ranging from 12-15 years of age, had about 15 boys and 25 girls. Friday (2pm - 4pm just a short day) was the day of getting to know everyone and set the ground rules and what not. After all of that we got into small groups by gender where we were to ask the kids in our group more personal questions about themselves, questions about purity and what they think it is. I had a group of 5 guys which was awesome! There were 3 groups of guys and 3 groups of girls split up equally.

The first day of asking the kids questions about themselves and what they thing about this and what not they really didn't respond and didn't really want to talk about anything.

Then Saturday rolls around where we had a full day of training (9am till 4pm). Most of the day consisted of how the kids worked as a team and group exercises, and on character building.

Some of the group exercises were like, everyone stand on a tarp, and you must flip over the tarp with no one coming off of it...like their feet/hands/face nothing could touch the ground other than the tarp. And if one kid did, they would have to restart it all over.
So some of the kids stood up and lead the group and after about 10 tries and 45 minutes later they finally got the tarp flipped over and felt very excited about it. We asked them how they felt and what they though about the exercise. Most of their responses consisted of it feels great to accomplish something so hard, and that they were proud of everyone for getting through it.
We wanted them to see that their voice MATTERS and that they need to speak up if they believe in going a different way. This doesn't mean just for the exercise but their lives as well. In their community the kids/teens never say anything nor speak up because that’s the way the have grown up as. So we wanted this exercise to really affect them and have them look at their lives and say HEY I need to stand up and speak my opinion or I will not go anywhere in life.

Then we had lunch and after that we went into another exercise where the guys and girls were split up, (they were given a white paper bag that they would use for this exercise) and they all had to make their own bag represent themselves on the outside. AKA how people see them and how they see themselves. And on the inside of the bag the kids were to put how they want to be seen as in 5-10 years, and what they want their characteristics to be like. Included in this they were to also put 1 secret that no one knows about them. After they finished their bags we split back up into our small groups and talked about the bags. As a small group leader we were to also make a bag and explain it. So I went first and explained my bag and the inside and shared my secret to get things started off. Then I asked the kids to share. It was an awesome experience with the kids, and heart wrenching at the same time. One of the kids was talking about his secret which was his father was killed by his brother, and he now hates his brother and can’t forgive him. It’s like, what do I say to that? You know?? It really hit me hard. After we all shared we got back into our big group and we talked about the experience we just had in our small groups and how it feels to get one secret off your chest. Some of the kids said it was uplifting and they feel lighter. =)

Sunday rolled around (9am - 2pm training day) and we mainly talked about the weekend and what they have learned/experienced. After that we split the group up into 2 groups (mixed guys and girls) and told them to come up with a community project they could work on around town. And we donated money to fund it for them. Around 1pm we had lunch for the kids and had a “graduation” and invited their families to join us. After lunch the kids wrote testimonies about the weekend and shared them which was an amazing experience, especially seeing the kids that didn’t really say much the entire time to sharing a 10 minute thing about what the learned and what they want to talk with them in later life. =D

Earlier that day as group leaders we wrote encouraging words to the kids in our groups. One of the kids in my group was named Baxolele which means Forgive them. And his secret was he has trouble forgiving people especially his family. So I wrote in it live out our name, and that he was a natural leader and to speak his mind. After I gave it to him he came up to me gave me a big hug and said, “Thank you, I will keep this forever and remember you”. Stuff as simple as that affected his life and affected mine.

On Monday we worked in the Crèches which are like day care centers where the moms take care of the kids who’s parents work. Some of the team played with the kids and helping the mothers with teaching and keeping control of all of them. Three of us (including me) went to one crèche where we painted the inside walls. A few months prior to this some Koreans came into Kayamundi to help out and started painting this creche but couldn’t finish it. It took them a week to paint 2 walls. It took us 3 hours to paint the other 2 walls and the ceiling with 2 coats. They said we worked like machines!!! Haha….This room was about a 15 foot by 10 foot building. So not to big. It makes me wonder why it took them so long to do 2 walls when it took us 3 hours to do the rest? You know??

So after painting and playing with the kids (which ended around 12ish) we went touring around Stellombosch and learning about the community and what not. It was astonishing to me to see how BLACK AND WHITE the 2 cities were. Stellombosch was a very rich town where mostly whites lived. And literally once you drive over a bridge no more than 10-15 minutes away you were in a poverty stricken township where kids wonder the streets, rape happens constantly, robberies, destruction and so much more was happening. There was NO middle class there…It was so weird but so sad to see. So sad to see a town as rich as Stellombosch live their daily lives and not consider a single thing about Kayamundi. =( It was so sad to see…

Tuesday there was a leadership training that Jean, Robb and Amy did for some of the adults who worked at a place called Legacy center. The training was to talk about respect and trust. It was a day training…which we usually don’t do as we need more than that to get into peoples minds. The people ranged in age of 20-35. While this was happening the rest of the group went to one of the crèches and we painted the outside of it. Again this building was about 15’ by 10’ and about 10’ tall. We painted half of the building on Tuesday and the other half on Wednesday.
After we worked there for a few hours (ended at 12ish again) we went to the Legacy center where we were doing the trainings. We had lunch there and after around 1:30-2:00 pm kids come to the center to have classes (like an after school center to stay off the streets and also as a HIV community center). Tuesdays class was about math….How many liters it takes to fill up a certain amount…Stuff like that. We helped out with that and once the kids were done with that we played outside kicking the soccer ball around, playing jump rope, playing tag and all sorts of stuff.

Wednesday like I said before we finished painting the crèche, left at 12 for the Legacy center where again we had lunch. After lunch we (our group) went to another township called Inkanini where we played with kids and feed them peanut butter sandwiches and apples. There were about 60 kids there. The reason we were watching the kids there was because the adults and parents were working on building another house and making a pathway to some house. We stayed there till about 5:30 pm or so. It started to get dark and we were told that we don’t want to be outside after dark or stuff goes down… Which was kinda sketch but oh well haha…
While we were painting in the morning, Jean, Robb and Amy were doing another leadership training/workshop for the people of Kayamundi…whoever wanted to be there and learn to be leaders and what not. This workshop thing was a 2 day thing so we were able to brake down everything a bit more and be able to spend more time on different subjects.

Thursday morning the 3 “leaders” were finishing the leadership training and we again played with kids in the crèches and helping out in the different places. In the afternoon of the same day we went to the Legacy center where we did face painting and played with balloons and played soccer and all sorts of games. =D

Friday was our day off, so in the morning I visited the University there and got a tour of that, and in the afternoon we went wine tasting.

Stellombosch is a very rich town and its basically a university town. The college is in the center and the houses and apartments are built around it. And just out side of the town there are several wineries. So the area is very rich but again the townships are the exact opposite.

What really impacted me the most was that kid who said I’ll remember you and what you wrote to me forever. Something as simple as saying you’re a leader and live out your name can impact him so much. How happy the kids are to just play with us and are so excited to even see us, and yet I would be like this is lame. In the states the kids/teens are so stuck up and snobby that they probably don’t appreciate the face painting and playing soccer and jump rope.

I take for granted so much and have so much and I can continue to complain about everything in my life and yet they have nothing and are so satisfied and so pleased. They don’t complain about the shack that they live in…if they are going to have food for dinner. I worry every night…do I have money for dinner or food at home I can cook something?!?! It amazes me and to a point of I wish I had the appreciation that they have for so little or next to nothing!!!

One thing that really hit me as well was this, Trust in something you know to be true. How often do we not trust something even though we know its true…..Like a rope when your repelling down a cliff. It really struck me and I felt like the Lord was saying why don’t you trust me if you know the way I am is true?!?

That’s probably one thing I really struggle with is trusting if this is right or not, but now I look at it and say…you know what. Its not what I think I know about being true or not but to trust in God and not worry about that. If that makes sense…

Pictures will be to follow when I get home and off work…=D

Oh also there is a place called Precorus which is where we went to to get info on the creches...But at precorus they also have a rape line/help group, and help teens who are HIV positive and help them with meds and stuff like that. =D

Back