April 13th, 2005

Bowser

Tribe of Judah StarCraft Series Chapter Leader
The Way Back

The father said, "Let us eat and celebrate; for this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found!"

-Luke 15:23-24 (NRSV)

I rebelled in my youth and became like the prodigal son. I quit college and started working as soon as I could. I spent money as fast as I made it, and when that was not enough, I spent money I did not have. And I used my money to do all the wrong things.

Now that I look back on my life, I see what a fool I was. I have been through two marriages and two divorces, mounting debt, and constant trouble. Enough was enough. I finally hit bottom and cried out to God in repentance. While God has forgiven me, I'm still dealing with the effects of all that sin -- debt, broken relationships, lack of education.

Now I am slowly working my way back to where I should have been 20 years ago. That is a hard thing to face, but Philippians 4:11 reminds me that I can "be content whatever the circumstances," knowing that I'm on the right path and trusting that God is with me. God never moved; it was I who drifted away. Now I am back in college, slowly paying off my debts, and making amends for past behavior. My past was apart from God; my future is with God. And I know it will work out according to God's will.

Ed Ridgley (Alabama, U.S.A.)

Prayer:
Lord Jesus Christ, we give thanks that you offer us new starts and help us to change. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Back