Anyone interested in continuing work on the Left 4 Dead 2 Profanity Filter?

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
Patriot has ceased work on the Left 4 Dead 2 Profanity Filter, but is willing to share his work thus far with anyone interested in continuing the project:
Patriot said:
I would highly recommend using the existing filter as a base if it would reduce the amount of time to update it. No need to credit me in anything. If it makes it easier, I still have the unpacked set which I could upload to my skydrive and provide a link to. I don't mind giving pointers to someone doing the work, I just don't want to manually run through the sound files myself. :D
Here's some helpful information for anyone interested in working on an updated profanity filter:
Patriot said:
The basic construct involved running manually through the sound list (some 2000 phrases or so) and finding non-explicit versions of what they were saying and duplicating that sound file. Then I renamed that sound file to the explicit sound file name. These were all stored in a sounds folder on my desktop. I then used some tool to package it as a valve mod. Can't remember the exact steps for that as it was quite some time ago. I suppose, if someone wants to pick through the thousands of sound files to update I can try to figure out the steps for repackaging. But it was painfully tedious and time-consuming to do it the first time. And it needs to be updated every time Valve releases a patch with sound files (I believe).
If you're interested in helping continue this project, please post a reply in this thread.

EDIT: I just ask that anyone that picks this project up give credit to Patriot for his work. (That's my request, not Patriot's.)

Last edited:
Hello! I've begun work on another profanity filter, but I won't be using Patriot's older version as a base. This is because, rather than removing entire files that curse, I edit each profane word inside the file individually. I'm doing this because I noticed that Much of the story was missing, as well as a lot of humorous moments.

I've got all of Coach's lines completely finished. (I've excluded some of the mild language, such as "Crap, ****, Hell, "etc., and if anyone wants me too, I may remove those as well.)

I must admit, it's a long, tiring process, and I may not be able to release my own version for a while. If anyone wants to help me, or learn how to clean up the profanity themselves, send me a message.

Anyway, to respond to this thread directly, Yes! I will continue on Patriot's brave crusade.

You're welcome!

I'm definitely going to have to spend a lot of time in prayer during and after this project.

I've actually gotten to the point where I know when a survivor's going to curse based on the way the sound-wave looks in the .wav file.

I'd be willing to help test, too.

Maybe we should schedule a playtesting game night soon?

Can't believe I missed this.

Props to you for doing this. You seem like you are moving pretty quickly on this. Have you already gone through the DLC folders as well? I had originally intended to do this but then the overwhelming amount of effort required restrained me. I think I went through a couple files before the enormity of the task set in.

Be aware, the sheer size of full audio files will be restrictive (on Steam Workshop). You are limited to 200MB per mod. You could release several smaller mods vice one big one. However, then you still run into the problem with Official servers not allowing custom files. So what you basically need to do is create a ZIP file that can be extracted to the sounds folder to actually replace the offensive files instead of modding.

Let me know if you have questions and I can try to answer them.

Sorry, Rochelle's lines haven't been coming along too well.

I'm trying to get a job, and I haven't found any time to edit them.

I'll get to them ASAP, but be patient, please.

Can't believe I missed this.

Props to you for doing this. You seem like you are moving pretty quickly on this. Have you already gone through the DLC folders as well? I had originally intended to do this but then the overwhelming amount of effort required restrained me. I think I went through a couple files before the enormity of the task set in.

Be aware, the sheer size of full audio files will be restrictive (on Steam Workshop). You are limited to 200MB per mod. You could release several smaller mods vice one big one. However, then you still run into the problem with Official servers not allowing custom files. So what you basically need to do is create a ZIP file that can be extracted to the sounds folder to actually replace the offensive files instead of modding.

Let me know if you have questions and I can try to answer them.

Don't worry too much about the conflicting files. They're clientside. That way, you can play on any server anywhere and still have the profanity removed. At least, that's how it's worked for me so far.

Rather than upload them to the Steam Workshop, I think I'll upload them to GameFront or Mediafire or something like that.

BY THE WAY, TO ALL READING THIS:THE PROFANITY CHANGE IS PERMANENT, UNLESS YOU DELETE AND RE-DOWNLOAD LEFT 4 DEAD 2.

BY THE WAY, TO ALL READING THIS:THE PROFANITY CHANGE IS PERMANENT, UNLESS YOU DELETE AND RE-DOWNLOAD LEFT 4 DEAD 2.
I think you can delete your sound folder and then force Steam to re-verify the files which will prompt a fresh download of just the sound files. Of course, the sound folder is a couple Gigs by itself.

Lego,

Any progress on the filter? I understand if it fell by the wayside - happens to my projects all the time.

Lego,

Any progress on the filter? I understand if it fell by the wayside - happens to my projects all the time.

Sorry, I went to college for pre-medicine for a week. It REALLY through me out of the groove, and I really just need a break for a while. I'll work on it here or there, but it's gonna come along slowly.

Sorry, I went to college for pre-medicine for a week. It REALLY through me out of the groove, and I really just need a break for a while. I'll work on it here or there, but it's gonna come along slowly.
No worries. Believe me, I understand the sheer amount of work required to do this.

Bad news and good news.

First, the bad. I lost all of the lines and files for the filter.

Here's the good news: Tek7 still had all the character lines for Nick, Coach, and Ellis, so, basically, nothing was lost.

Except 49 Rochelle lines I already had done.

At least I don't have to redo ALL 2421(Ellis)+2547(Coach)+2616(Nick)=7584 .wav files. I'm not even joking. You really saved me a lot of work, there, Tek!

At least I don't have to redo ALL 2421(Ellis)+2547(Coach)+2616(Nick)=7584 .wav files. I'm not even joking. You really saved me a lot of work, there, Tek!
You are most welcome, sir! I was glad my SkyDrive account finally came in handy. :)

Last edited:
Back