A Prayer for Holy Toledo

Kahiel

Hi all,

You may have seen or heard (We're trending on Facebook and have made the national news) the water treatment plant in Toledo, Ohio detected unsafe levels of a toxin from algae in Lake Erie. Saturday morning the water in Lucas County is unsafe. Most of the restaurants have been closed by the health department. The water isn't even safe for washing your hands or showering except for healthy adults (if you trust that, I've heard people are getting a rash after bathing).

Personally, we have a well. First time in my life I am glad for our hard water. I took some people from church out to a local retirement community and we went door to door to make sure people had water.

Pray for the people in the area, there have been some fistfights when it first happened and there was a run on water. Right now we they are distributing plenty of water, but this could go on for a week or more. Pray for our churches to be the hands and feet of Jesus and pray for the leaders as they deal with the crisis (the mayor is married to my cousin).

Googled around, that's some nasty problem you have up there. The last thing our nation needs is another costly mess to clean up but it looks like it's got to happen :/ Prayed for you guys.

Thanks for the prayers for the community. They gave the "all-clear" on the water this morning. There were some problems on Saturday morning as the stores ran out of water initially, but aside from that there were no serious health related issues that I am aware of. Continue to pray for the community as people flush their water lines and things begin to get back to normal.

Thanks for the prayers for the community. They gave the "all-clear" on the water this morning. There were some problems on Saturday morning as the stores ran out of water initially, but aside from that there were no serious health related issues that I am aware of. Continue to pray for the community as people flush their water lines and things begin to get back to normal.

That is great to hear, thank God :). From what I read it's going to be a reoccurring problem until they deal with the algae on the Great Lakes. It's going to be a while and take a lot of money/work/prayer to get things truly normal.

Last edited:
That is great to hear, thank God :). From what I read it's going to be a reoccurring problem until they deal with the algae on the Great Lakes. It's going to be a while and take a lot of money/work/prayer to get things truly normal.

Yeah, that and the extremely old infrastructure in the water system doesn't help either. Lake Erie is the shallowest of the Great Lakes, which makes it the warmest as well, that encourages the algae growth. This problem has been building for years if not decades. The claim is that the farm fertilizer run off is another contributing factor. So really fixing the problem will have to be a two pronged attack, one upgrading the existing infrastructure so it can handle the toxins and changes to the environmental protection plans to reduce the run off (I know that they have been working on that already but more will have to be done). August is usually a very hot and dry month on this end of the lake, which means the algae will have perfect conditions to really grow. I wouldn't be surprised if we have another situation in a few weeks.

West Virginia might be able to give Toledo some pointers. Theirs was a 6 county area, and they still are not sure that the problems will return. A couple of towns are rebuilding their water plant so as not to get stung again. Praying for both areas. Lake Erie is still better than it was 30-40 years ago.

West Virginia might be able to give Toledo some pointers. Theirs was a 6 county area, and they still are not sure that the problems will return. A couple of towns are rebuilding their water plant so as not to get stung again. Praying for both areas. Lake Erie is still better than it was 30-40 years ago.

Yeah, it's not on fire...anymore.

Technically it was the Cayahoga river that was on fire, but yah somebody, or lots of somebodies forgot God's imperative to care for the earth. When signs go up saying no smoking within 100 ft of the river God has definitely been left out some where.

Technically it was the Cayahoga river that was on fire, but yah somebody, or lots of somebodies forgot God's imperative to care for the earth. When signs go up saying no smoking within 100 ft of the river God has definitely been left out some where.

...or don't eat the fish from the rivers.

Back