4-player PSN titles

RyanB

Legacy of Elijah Guild Leader
- Titles Already Out -

Age of Booty
very fun Catan-like pirate game, but can have some major issues with online play; need to look into that.
Edit: seems the online play for the full version is still broke. That said, we could all play the demo; it really is fun and a shame. Stupid capcom. :)

Castle Crashers
Should be on everyone's PS3 already.

Gauntlet II
Old school at its best, complete with the old issues

Ghostbusters: Sanctum of Slime
Just came out; hadn't heard about this. Looks like 4-player arcade-style fun
http://www.atari.com/gbsanctumofslime

Hoard
Also hadn't heard of this; play as a dragon and raid the village. Pillage loot and destroy pesky knights.
http://www.hoardgame.com/

Moon Diver
Spiritual successor to Strider; demo was fun

TMNT: Turtles in Time Re-shelled
Mindless, but I love it and it's turtles.

XMen Arcade
Lazy not to update the graphics, but this is probably a lot of fun as well

- Upcoming Titles -

Defenders of Ardania (~Q3 2011)
Looks to be a beautiful cross between Tower Defense and RTS. Woot.
http://www.paradoxplaza.com/games/defenders-of-ardania

Dungeon Defenders (~May 2011)
Cross between Tower Defense and Action RPG with some Castle Crashers-like action thrown in.
http://dungeondefenders.com/

Dungeon Hunter: Alliance (April 12, 2011)
4 player "Diablo clone" ported from iPhone; releases next week. Local + online supported.

Dungeons & Dragons: Daggerdale (Q2 2011)
"Baldur's Gate, Dark Alliance clone". Oh the irony.
http://www.atari.com/daggerdale

Last edited:
Looking for game ideas for Playstation Saturday Nights, I took a stroll through co-optimus' games listing for PSN titles, looking at only one thing - at least 4 player online. My thinking was 4 player co-op games would suit our needs the best. The list is actually a tad shorter than I thought it would be, but probably because this doesn't include local co-op or competitive play.

This feels like a repeat thread to me, but I tried to narrow the focus to PSN because it seems like those are the best titles for us to try to all get, due to funds. Disc-based games are very hard to time because some people buy at $60 (none on this thread, I don't think) and some people won't buy for more than $15.

I also left out a few I just couldn't see us all getting together and playing.

I'll be updating this list with information (such as which have demos) soon, as well as any other pertinant information you can think of.

I have:
Age of Booty
Castle Crashers
TMNT: Turtles in Time

I'm interested in:
All others, especially the 4 upcoming I listed. Most likely day 1 purchases.

Age of Booty
very fun Catan-like pirate game, but can have some major issues with online play; need to look into that.
Edit: seems the online play for the full version is still broke. That said, we could all play the demo; it really is fun and a shame. Stupid capcom. :)
Played the demo, wasn't all that interested, but willing to play it with others as I still have it installed.

Castle Crashers
Should be on everyone's PS3 already.
FINALLY got it after it went on sale recently. Played once with RyanB and looking forward to playing more with ToJ members.

Gauntlet II
Old school at its best, complete with the old issues
Was not aware this was on PSN. Will look for a demo, but I'll probably still favor Dungeon & Dragons: Daggerdale over a Gauntlet remake.

Ghostbusters: Sanctum of Slime
Just came out; hadn't heard about this. Looks like 4-player arcade-style fun
http://www.atari.com/gbsanctumofslime
Game got a 43 on Metacritic. 'nuff said.

Hoard
Also hadn't heard of this; play as a dragon and raid the village. Pillage loot and destroy pesky knights.
http://www.hoardgame.com/
Played the demo, liked it, but not enough to drop $10 on it. Will probably buy the PC version if/when it goes on sale for $5 or less on Steam.

Moon Diver
Spiritual successor to Strider; demo was fun
Liked it, but, again, not enough to drop money on it. Would like to get more out of the $12.48 I spent on Castle Crashers and have some cause for confidence I'd get my money's worth before buying another 4-player online PSN title.

TMNT: Turtles in Time Re-shelled
Mindless, but I love it and it's turtles.
If my wife ever gives the word, I'll be buying this game, but neither of us were thrilled with the HD remake. It's good, but sales on PSN are woefully infrequent (sorry, Steam has spoiled me) and there's really no point in playing this alone when I played through the original so often when I was younger.

XMen Arcade
Lazy not to update the graphics, but this is probably a lot of fun as well
Now that it's been 30 days after this game released, I probably won't ever buy it.

Console games, even moreso than PC games, have a "flash in the pan" player base. I can't even find an online match in Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD Remix (even though the game is awesome) just because the game is 3 years old. If the price point is reasonable (i.e. NOT $60) and you don't buy it within the first 60 days after release, you shouldn't expect to find an active player base ever again.

Dungeons & Dragons: Daggerdale (Q2 2011)
"Baldur's Gate, Dark Alliance clone". Oh the irony.
http://www.atari.com/daggerdale
When they announce a release date (not just "within these three months"), I'll be marking it on my calendar. If there's a day one demo and if it debuts at a $10 price point, there's a VERY good chance I'll be buying this to play with my wife and ToJ members. :)

Played the demo, wasn't all that interested, but willing to play it with others as I still have it installed.

Yup, it is especially enjoyable to me because I liked Catan, and am a sucker for anything light RTS.

FINALLY got it after it went on sale recently. Played once with RyanB and looking forward to playing more with ToJ members.

Definitely was fun; hope we get more for Saturday.

Was not aware this was on PSN. Will look for a demo, but I'll probably still favor Dungeon & Dragons: Daggerdale over a Gauntlet remake.

Remake might be a bit generous; there's network support but it's the original graphics.

Game got a 43 on Metacritic. 'nuff said.

Yuck, hadn't looked. Just heard about that today. Good catch, shameful abuse of a good IP.

Played the demo, liked it, but not enough to drop $10 on it. Will probably buy the PC version if/when it goes on sale for $5 or less on Steam.

Will still probably pick it up sometime if folks are looking to play. For some reason I just don't like playing more than 1 game on my PC.

Liked it, but, again, not enough to drop money on it. Would like to get more out of the $12.48 I spent on Castle Crashers and have some cause for confidence I'd get my money's worth before buying another 4-player online PSN title.

Also wasn't a huge fan - definitely enjoyable, don't get me wrong. I just wouldn't buy for myself. This is in my "would definitely be willing to buy if everyone else wanted to" pile.

If my wife ever gives the word, I'll be buying this game, but neither of us were thrilled with the HD remake. It's good, but sales on PSN are woefully infrequent (sorry, Steam has spoiled me) and there's really no point in playing this alone when I played through the original so often when I was younger.

I do think this one would be good for an PSN event. Simple gameplay, would be insane on hardcore mode, and fun all around.

Be aware co-optimus lists this one as NOT having simultaneous local and online play, so it's probably either/or.

Now that it's been 30 days after this game released, I probably won't ever buy it.

Console games, even moreso than PC games, have a "flash in the pan" player base. I can't even find an online match in Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD Remix (even though the game is awesome) just because the game is 3 years old. If the price point is reasonable (i.e. NOT $60) and you don't buy it within the first 60 days after release, you shouldn't expect to find an active player base ever again.

Unless folks on here were interested to play together. I know a few own it already, and I'd be willing to drop the $10 if I had someone to play with.

When they announce a release date (not just "within these three months"), I'll be marking it on my calendar. If there's a day one demo and if it debuts at a $10 price point, there's a VERY good chance I'll be buying this to play with my wife and ToJ members. :)

I'm expecting May. Be aware this game is also listed as no simultaneous local and online play, so without a 2nd playstation it's unlikely you'll be able to play with the Mrs.

So it looks like we have a few maybes here. My hopes are that if folks play together and enjoy the time, we might start influencing each other to actually buy games at the same time. :)

Edit to add: I think after we get some more input from other folks for what their "maybes" are, I'll probably edit top post to cut out a lot of the extra fluff. Then we'll start adding in not completely co-op games...like fat princess. I own that, and it's fun. I think we can build a pretty solid list of games people own or are interested in if we work at it.

Last edited:
I may have to grab Gauntlet II for my collection. At $2.50... it'd be hard to pass up. It'd also sit nicely next to Mortal Kombat II on my virtual game shelf. :p

X-Men is a fairly quick and dirty port of the arcade version of the game so far as I understand it (sadly, I never had a chance to play the real deal). It's simple. It's cheesy. It's still totally awesome.

And remember, I am the master of magnet.

Age of Booty is supposed to be on sale right now. Don't remember how much, though.

Age of Booty is supposed to be on sale right now. Don't remember how much, though.
$4.99. But I don't know if it's a sale or a permanent price drop. Joystiq's PSN Tuesday update makes it look like the latter.

I enjoyed the short campaign on AoB, and it is VERY fun local multiplayer.

However, the online play simply does not work in the full game (where it works FINE in the demo), and Capcom has done nothing on this issue for over a year. I simply can't recommend spending money for that, even at $5. You might think "hey, that's no big deal" but I primise you WILL want to play online, and if you try, you likely WILL need to repair the controller-shaped hole in your TV screen. :(

It's a real shame, too, because this game would have been FANTASTIC for multiplayer.

You're awful, Capcom.

Last edited:
FYI, this was listed as a "Price Change" and not a sale, so the drop should be permanent. Maybe they'll necro-patch it after all this time and make it a great game.

Back