Proposal: PureFun/ToJ Counter-Strike Source Server

SirThom

One of the ideas I was thinking about for this chapter was a Counter-Strike: Source server which would be operated by PureFun and ToJ. We could retain our current list of admins and management, just the server would be under both PureFun and ToJ's banner. Plus, the fact that I'm already the Server Operator makes things quite a bit easier.

As for funding: this is to be determined. PureFun will make some sort of contribution to the server, just how much of it is still up in the air at this point. But the purpose of this thread is just to get your opinion. Additionally, this is only a temporary measure until ToJ gets their dedicated server.

Discuss.

I wish I could help, but I stopped playing CS after I walked into a game full of stuff-that-should-not-be-named plastered all over the wall. :(

I wish I could help, but I stopped playing CS after I walked into a game full of stuff-that-should-not-be-named plastered all over the wall. :(
That's why we're trying to create another safe environment for Christians to fellowship with other Christians. We'll do everything we can to keep trash like that from appearing on our server, and if it becomes too much of a problem we'll disable sprays altogether. Simple enough. =)

I found a Christian server once, but then I never saw it again. Should I end up going back on (as I'm about to start college again), where should I look?

I found a Christian server once, but then I never saw it again. Should I end up going back on (as I'm about to start college again), where should I look?
For Counter-Strike: Source, I'd go to any one of Christian Crew's servers. They're almost always populated and well-run, and you never see or hear anything you wouldn't want.

I think this is a great idea. I still play CS:Source from time to time, and would love to play in a ToJ server.

no offense..but instead of funneling money towards yet another temporary server which winds up getting taken down..how about taking that money and funneling it towards the toj dedicated server? If all the money spent on these stopgap solutions were instead sent to the toj server fund toj would have had it's server already online.

no offense
None taken. =)

..but instead of funneling money towards yet another temporary server
Actually, we (Tek and I) were thinking of tearing the CS 1.6 server down, and rolling the funds into a bigger CS:S server. So this isn't "another" server, this is just moving up to Source from 1.6.

And, by the way, the current CS 1.6 server (and potentially a portion of the CS:S server) is being donated by a single community member, so having this server in operation isn't siphoning funds out of ToJ's PayPal account.

which winds up getting taken down
Hrm? The reason we're moving to CS:Source is because we've got people actually interested in it, and I believe it'll be a good launching point for future endeavors (like fundraising and promotions).

how about taking that money and funneling it towards the toj dedicated server?
If all the money spent on these stopgap solutions were instead sent to the toj server fund toj would have had it's server already online.
Because we can present a fun and interesting way to play on family-friendly game servers, it'll be an easier sell for people to donate to that fund... we just need a "platform" on which to present that case.

I appreciate your input, but I've already heavily considered the points you've made, and I think it's best for both parties (PureFun and ToJ) that we have our own CS: Source server -- at least until we can raise enough funds (with the help of this new server) for the dedicated box.

you have missed my point. The funds that have been used to fund stopgap servers(and that's what these are) and that are now being used to fund this latest server could have been instead sent to the toj server fund. I'm not a toj member nor a pure-fun member..however these funds that are being diverted form going into the toj server are the main reason the toj server isn't up.

folks are free to do as they see fit of course..however if they would focus on the toj server you guys could have 4 or more servers on one box instead of having to worry about renting one server on somebody else's machine.

I feel I put my thoughts out clearly on my previous post, so I can't follow-up your reply any better. =(

We'll see what Tek7 thinks when he gets back, but Lord willing, we will tentatively launch our CS:S server on April 2nd. As stated before, we will do our best to raise enough funds for the ToJ dedicated server to bring it online as soon as possible.

On the topic of renting less expensive "temporary" servers v. purchasing a dedicated server and paying monthly fees for bandwidth: There's no obvious "right" answer. Fundraising has been a painfully slow process. Countless Tribe of Judah members have expressed an interest in having our own servers again, but many are not in a financial position to donate regularly. Yes, renting single servers from game hosting is a "stopgap" solution, but may be instrumental in reviving interest in our Shooter Section (which includes our Unreal Series, Counter-Strike, and Battlefield Series chapters).

How soon Tribe of Judah raises the $2,000 USD to purchase a dedicated server and $50 USD monthly for bandwidth fees depends largely on three things:
  • When a Tribe of Judah member volunteers to manage our fundraising campaign,
  • How effective our future Fundraising Campaign Manager is,
  • How much money Tribe of Judah members donate toward the purchase of a dedicated server.
I've posted about the purpose of and vision for a dedicated server. I've explained that it will only take a few dollars (even $5 USD) from a larger number of members to purchase and maintain a dedicated server. I've asked repeatedly for members to consider leading the campaign to raise funds for a dedicated server. I've laid the groundwork, but, considering my current workload, I've done about all I can. At this point, members of the Tribe of Judah community have to prove that they want a dedicated server badly enough to donate $5 USD a month.

Until then, we'll continue to manage the funds (donated by a very small percentage of the community) to the best of our ability. There's no clear "right" or "wrong" path, so we're trying different things and doing the best we can.

EDIT: All that being said, I do appreciate posts and opinions on the subject. It is difficult to weight the pros and cons of each option without feedback from the community.

Back