What Christian artists do you dig?

MeridianFlight

I'm interested as to what everybody enjoys in terms of Christian music. As I'm sure everyone knows, it's a pretty diverse field. Do you like music that is unapologetic when it comes to mentioning Christ, or are you more a fan of subtle lyrics, where it's "wink, nudge, wink" to those who know and those who don't are (hopefully) left curious as to what the artist is referring to?

I like both, though I'd prefer an unpologetic approach, sometimes the subtle kind is pretty cool too. I enjoy a wide variety of artists. Everything from indie to death metal (only christian music of course). If you want me to list a bunch of artists I like then say the word.

Please do list the bands you like.

What about bands that have made that sort of transition from unapologetic to subtle? Sort of like Skillet (Has anyone seen the music video to "Savior"? Talk about perplexing. Domestic abuse?) and Pillar recently I believe with "Where Do We Go From Here".

Then there's Anberlin...

Ok, for bands that have gone from unapologetic to subtle, Calibretto 13 is a big one. They used to be one of the most unapologetic bands ever, now they just sing about psychos and weird stuff. There's more to it than that, but I'd rather not go into it right now. For bands that I like alot, here we go.

The Agony Scene (Not christian anymore, so I won't buy their new CD)
As I Lay Dying
Ballydowse
Beloved
Blaster the Rocketman
Blindside
!BNB! All Stars
Brave Saint Saturn
Calibretto 13
The Chariot
Craig's Brother
The Deal
Demon Hunter
The Dingees
Disciple (old stuff)
Dogwood
Emery
Every New Day
Extol
Five Iron Frenzy (my favorite band)
Flatfoot 56
Hannover Saints
Haste The Day
Havalina Rail Co. (you can get the full CD of Russian Lullabies from thier website www.havalinaland.com)
He Is Legend
Headnoise
Holy Blood (even though they don't sing in english)
The Insyderz
Living Sacrifice
Lucerin Blue
mewithoutyou
MXPX
Nodes of Ranvier
Norma Jean
Officer Negative
P.O.D.
Project 86
Relient K (yeah, I like them despite the fact that the internet thinks they stink)
Roper
Saviour Machine
Slick Shoes
Squad 5-0
Stretch Arm Strong
Supertones
Theocracy
Training For Utopia
Underoath (older is better)
Virgin Black
Zao
Zippy Josh and the Ragtag Band

I like more than that too, but not as much as those listed.

EDIT: To anyone who saw the 3 band list, it submitted before I was done, and I didn't realize it.

Last edited:
Oh, and back to this topic being about bands that go from unapologetic to subtle, Squad 5-0 is a great example of that kind of thing. In their second CD (which, unless you like punk with ska influences, don't get) they're praising the Lord, and all that jazz. It even has some pictures of them praying in a church and stuff like that in the booklet. Now if you go to their website at http://www.squadfive-o.com/music.asp , you can read the lyrics to their new songs like "Bye American" where they say the s-word, and of course they also sing about sex and other secular topics. It's sad to see bands that were once so hardcore for Christ sink down this far. And their style has changed dramatically since they were punk-ska. Now they're more like glam-rock.

I've been lovin TobyMac, not only because of him but I really like all the joint songs he does with other artists! Here's a few...

TobyMac and Lecrae

TobyMac and Jamie Grace

TobyMac and Mandisa

TobyMac and Capital Kings

TobyMac and Aaron Cole

https://youtu.be/d17hi1s6Tgg
TobyMac and Hollyn

LOL! TobyMac has done so many songs of his own and with the Group he used to be in called DCTalk, that I love hearing him do different style songs with other artists. :) Part of his goal in the Music Industry is to find up and coming young Christian artists and help give them a start by doing a song with them. Sometimes this gives them the exposure they need to get their own music out there.

TobyMac has charted 20 solo singles and has a successful solo career with the release of six studio albums according to Wikipedia. None of that includes his 14 years with DCTalk or his songs with other Artists. You should check him out sometime. :) He has a wide variety of music styles. There's sure to be at least one you'd like. ;)

tobymac-58th-annual-grammy-awards-01.jpg

That's fun... I can't stand songs like that. Its like, cant you just sing your own song?

I'll admit it even in DC Talk Toby only sings moderately well and can't hit the high notes but he seem conscious of that fact and mixes it up with guest singers. He originally came from a hip hop/rap background where you don't really need to sing super well because it's hip hop/rap. That said he is an excellent song writer/producer and has more talent than most people who can only sing.

DC Talk remains one of my favorite groups of all time and it was the mix of different talent that made it so. Toby would bring a rap style and a clever lyric, Micheal was an excellent singer but not super distinct compared to others, Kevin, ah Kevin, was slightly weird and arty with his lyrics. Kevin had an exceptionally lilty singing voice which I compare to sugar it's excellent in small amounts but without the other two singers you'd OD on it.

Still sad DC Talk broke up they were better together than anything they've separately produced. I don't think there is a bad DC Talk album but some of their seperate work is, not bad, but forgetable. (I've suspected Kevin's artyness may have eventually been the cause of the break up. He came in after the first two were already friends so he was always slightly the odd man out).

I also liked the old Newsboys but the roster has changed so much since "Take Me To Your Leader" it's a different band. Sure Micheal from DC Talk joined them so they sing great but I liked them when they were good singers AND funny. Good singers are common, clever Christian songs are not.

For a non-Christian group I also liked Genesis but only really their Invisible Touch album, because I like Phil Collins voice and hard driving drums.

Some examples...
DC Talk it's so good, music, lyrics, message it has it all T_T.

Newsboys just make me smile.

Genesis hmmm those drums, dat sound.

Note: The videos have a few added sounds which aren't in the album (and resolution problems XD).

I don't really purchase music much anymore and tend to listen to instrumental songs more often than anything (when working on the yard, etc.). However, my favorite Christian band has been the same since high school (20+ years ago). They go the whole range: overtly Christian lyrics to an angry album where they had a dispute with the church to lyrics which make no sense and might not be referring to anything at all. I've been to only a handful of concerts in my lifetime and three of them were these guys:

The Violet Burning

That video is...terrifying. :eek:

The Muppet like creatures (of which I only recognize half of the people they are) were made by a political group and the video is said to have been made to cast Regan as incompetent to fix the world's problems. Personally though I always thought it cast him in a positive light as he is clearly trying to be a hero. It certainly beats how conservatives are treated today regardless.

That was the song we (me and my Father) played on the jukebox at Kettle (restaurant) when we went to eat out because my Mother was beginning to get sick. So I'll always remember it.

Edit: and yes they are kinda creepy :eek:. Though I thought the shot with the baby's hands was nice.

Last edited:
LOL! The baby hands were cute but that baby mouth from the stomach was just creepy LOL! o_O

Back